Re: [stp-dev] [Policy] Policy Editors integration

Hi Andrei,

Replies inline...

Andrei Shakirin wrote:
Hi David,

We have made the first integration of WTP-based and XEF editors. Our approach works well, anyway we have some issues/improvements CRs.
Good to hear!
1. XEF Editor title.
Actually XEF Editor always shows “Policies” as title for every assertion. It is not very convenient, because user cannot distinguish different editing policy parts, especially in case if more than one XEF Editor window is active. Is it possible for you to display the name retrieved from IPolicyDetailEditorInput.getName() method as title?
I actually thought that it would take the IPolicyDetailEditorInput.getName() as the title by default, but maybe there's a bug there. However, you can use the settings for this too. E.g. the following code: IPolicyDetailEditorInput ei = new MyPolicyDetailEditorInput(selectedFile, sp, bais);
 ei.getProperties().put("TITLE", "My Title");
 ei.getProperties().put("HEADING", "My Heading");
IDE.openEditor(getSite().getWorkbenchWindow().getActivePage(), ei, XefConstants.XEF_EDITOR);
produces the editor as in the attached screen shot. Will this help?

To see all the settings with their default values look at the org.eclipse.stp.ui.xef.editor.Setting enum (in the org.eclipse.stp.xef plugin).
2. Adding new policy assertion.
As we have discussed WTP-based policy editor is completely responsible to add/delete policy alternatives (choices and unions). It is clear. But for adding new policy assertion we need some functionality of XEF Editor, because it can propose the list of available assertions and able to create appropriate XML representation of new assertion.

We propose two possible scenarios how to process existing and add new assertions in our integrated solution:
1) XEF Editor will always edit only one policy assertion.
2) XEF Editor will always edit all assertions inside one policy alternative (also contains three sub-alternatives).
Details of both scenarios are published on http://wiki.eclipse.org/STP/Policy_editor_integration.

David, which approach do you prefer, and which is realistic to finish for the Ganymede release?
While I think 2 would be nice, maybe we should try to get option 1 working first. I think option 1 would not require any changes to the XEF editor (or am I missing something?). Once we have option 1 fully working we could consider option 2, but I always had the feeling that the alternatives were the domain of the WTP policy editor. I guess I would need to play with the integration more to see what would feel natural to the user.

Best regards,

David

Registered Number: 171387

JPEG image