Re: [stp-dev] Seed of a proposal for a new component...

On Feb 7, 2008 2:50 PM, Oisin Hurley <ohurley@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd rather keep the housekeeping separated from the entry point
> idea, at least in terms of features.
> I think it is very important that each component may be distributed
> independently.
> The idea of deriving projects depending on their nature sounds good
> to me.

That's fair enough - I agree that each component distributed
independently
is a good idea. It should be straightforward enough to keep them
separate.

On the housekeeping stuff - let's take an example, preference pages.
I was thinking that there would be a SOA Tools preference category,
under which each component could contribute their own subcategories.
Then there would be a single point of reference for users.

My initial thoughts were that even if there was only one component
being distributed, it would mean that the SOA Tools preference
category would still exist, but there would only be one subcategory.

Are you thinking of it in that way, or are you thinking of it in
terms of there just being the component-specific preference category
when the component is being distributed on it's own?
That's what I meant, we are on the same line.

As for your proposal, I would take very small steps there: maybe have some component contribute a way to create a project dedicated to another one, and try to multiply such initiatives until you have enough to form a separate component.
At least it'd be great to have some kind of map to see where you can go.

 cheers
  --oh

Registered Number: 171387

http://www.lunar-ocean.com/blog