Re: [Fwd: Re: [stp-dev] Intermediate Model Code Contribution]

Hi,

Below an answer of William Piers, who is currently working on the m2m part of modeling, especially in the ATL and QVT-R projects.

----

Hello,

Andrea Zoppello a écrit :
Hi,

It's not mandatory to use EMF Based Java Code, At the moment we've

BPMN->IM  ( Java based on EMF API )
IM->JBI ( EMFT JET2 ) - This trnasformation is provided in spagic 2.0 ( LGPL ) http://forge.objectweb.org/projects/spagic IM->JBI Wsdl generation ( EMFT 2 JET ) This trnasformation is provided in spagic 2.0 ( LGPL ) IM->BPEL ( Java based on EMF API ) This trnasformation is provided in spagic 2.0 ( LGPL )

I think it will be not a problem, to use ATL in future, the reason why whe choose EMF Based Java code, is that at the moment it's the approach that i know better, and it's quite simple for me. EMFT JET2 is quite simple and work well for me.

Another thing you would take in mind, it's that when you've intermediate model, and you want to have specific technology stuff, in some case you need to made a preprocessing in the Intermediate Model, so to adapt to technology details.

Is this possible with ATL??
ATL can be launch in several ways :
- using Eclipse's launch configurations : by this way you can transform EMF models persisted as .ecore files. - using ant : you can chain ATL transformations, and trigger any other actions during that process - programmatically (inside/oustide of Eclipse) : you can use "customize" atl APIs to launch ATL transformations using Java code. For instance, this will allow you to use in-memory models. Note that we intent, in the next months, to provide a more usable API for programmatic use of ATL. This will be helpful in your case, as for many users who often develop their own extensions over ATL.

BTW Have you any detailed documentation about ATL, and how to use it???
Here is links to the relevant documentation :
http://www.eclipse.org/m2m/atl/doc/

This one is quite out of date (still valid, but doesn't contains all informations), so you also can refers to the wiki :
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/ATL

William Piers
MDA Consultant
Obeo