[stp-dev] Policy Editor - supported WS-Policy version

Hi there,

I could not find any discussion as to which version of WS-Policy should be supported, so I fear that I'm bringing this up somewhat belatedly.

Currently the situation is as follows:

- W3C until now has released two versions of WS-Policy (1.2 and the current 1.5)
- The version a policy document uses is identified by the namespace uri for the WS-Policy nodes in the document. The situation is somewhat complicated by the fact that for 1.5 the namespace was changed during the standardization process:

- With 1.5, a new attribute @wsp:Ignorable was added
- The examples for the XEF editor use 1.5, but there might be a number of users who still use 1.2, e.g. users of Apache Neethi.

So what should we do in our policy editor?

- Stick with 1.5
- Come up with an intelligent scheme for supporting both versions

One thing to keep in mind is that there might be a new version of WS-Policy during the lifetime of our tool. May take on the problem would be:

- First get the policy editor working with support for 1.5 only.
- Refactor the editor to use a policy model that provides a version-agnostic API to all components using it.
- Provide implementations of the model for all policy versions that we think should be supported.

Comments/Suggestions/Flames, anyone?

Best regards
Jerry

--

Gerald Preissler
Tel.:    +49 (0)228-182 1 91 12

SOPERA GmbH - Open Source SOA
Subscription Services, Support & Maintenance, Training,
Technical SOA Consulting & Customized Development
http://www.sopera.de

SOPERA GmbH · Geschäftsführer: Dr. Ricco Deutscher
Sträßchensweg 10 · 53113 Bonn · Handelsregister: Bonn HRB 15336

Back to the top