[stp-dev] STP Usability Week

Hi There,

Over the last few weeks, I've done a number of presentations on the STP, and people are very impressed with what we have done so far, and our future plans. However, we start to run into some problems when it comes to them getting their hands on it, and actually using the STP. So with that in mind, I'd like to propose an "STP Usability Week" where we all take some time to look at the issues that is currently bugging us about STP and fix them.

I'm thinking the week of Dec 12th to be a good week since it's the week before we start thinking about Christmas, and it would be good to get this work done prior to our next milestone drop.

So, what's involved? Here's what I'm proposing:

* There are 78 open bugs in bugzilla against the STP, we should triage them and organise a list of those that could be fixed during this week. I can do a good lot of this in advance but will need help from my colleagues in B2J and BPMN to organise their bugs. Some of these bugs could be marked as "good for new comitters" so those of you recently elected or interested in committing will be able to dip your toes into the code!

* Web site updates, we'll create some bugs around that and do a general clean up on the website. The more of us that get involved, the better it will look.

* Build / Download page improvements. As we're currently having to re-write our build system, are there changes we can make here? Are we all happy with the what we publish for download? We need to make it as easy as possible for STP adopters to be able to download and use our stuff. Work is about to get underway on the development of our new automated build system, so I'm hoping we will have the start of the framework in place by Dec 12th for people to build on. It will be *much* easier to understand!

* Finally, if you regularly work in the code and there have been small problems annoying you as a developer, raise the bug, or better still see if you can fix it.

For this week, we should suspend any active feature development and concentrate on key usability improvements.

The aim is to get a list of bugs ready for the week in question. Then if all our committers could begin by taking even just one bug and making the change, we'd be making very good progress. I'm willing to help out in any way that I can including co-ordination between the people who are taking on bugs, and fixing bugs myself!

Thoughts? I'll talk about this at our meeting tomorrow, so if you're interested drop in, or follow up on this email.

Regards,
Adrian.

Registered Number: 171387