Re: [stp-dev] Java First Programming Model Refactor

Below is a wiki page, which lists some thoughts for the refactor.
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Refactor_of_JavaFirst
Feel free to add your idea to the wiki directly.
I agree with the point on that page when you say that there's no
need to generate the WSDL every time a build happens - that will
slow things down and will give the odd synchronization problem
unless we can somehow mesh the JDT and WSDL models :)  Unfortunately,
every JAX-WS runtime in the world has a separate java-to-wsdl
tool, and we have to write another to make that work.

Wouldn't it be useful if there was just one java-to-wsdl framework
that was template driven or something like that?

Back on topic. Would it be easier for the user to just do a
right-click on the target java file and choose 'Generate WSDL'
from a context menu? This would be instead of going through
a wizard, or setting a specific class in a preference. Then
they have full control. Maybe then we could put in a preference
which would allow control over switching off/on automatic
WSDL generation, defaulting to 'off'.

In the project wizard, there's a dropdown for 'Frontend', which
I am sure means the nature of the code that is generated for
the client and server when going from WSDL. If this is not
going to be JAX-WS, then I'm not sure it is a JAX-WS project ;)

What I would suggest here is that the 'frontend' choice is
actually made by the project type - so if you want to program
in JAX-WS, then you make a JAX-WS project, and if you want to
program POJOs, then you make a POJO project.

Anyway - having good functionality in the java-first approach
is pretty important, so nice to see the work going in here :)

 cheers
  --oh

Registered Number: 171387