From: stp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:stp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Daniel Berg
Sent: 12 May 2006 03:25
To: STP Dev list
Cc: STP Dev list; stp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [stp-dev] Service Creation questions

I am still confused for the following reasons.
  1. The core contribution already has an "introspection" extension point in place to allow implementation types to produce and react to changes in the componentType definition.
  2. The core contribution already has change notification built into the componentType to allow for changes to the componentType to be propagated back to the implementation.
  3. The central assembly resources view sounds like an instance of the Eclipse platform Common Navigator.  If it is not then I would like to know what this view is intended to provide.  The Common Navigator provides a way to register content providers to display content and actions in a tree view (i.e., a navigator).
    Is it the intention that this subproject is providing the SOA perspective?  Do we really need a full subproject for this?

I still do not see a compelling reason to sustain this subproject.  Maybe the work intended for the subproject should be rolled into another subproject.

Regards,
Dan

"Beaurpere, David" <David.Beaurpere@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: stp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/11/2006 05:44 AM

Please respond to
STP Dev list <stp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"STP Dev list" <stp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [stp-dev] Service Creation questions

Actually I think that SC and SAF look complementary: the Service Creation project intends to focus on supporting existing service implementation tools while, and as far as I understand it, SAF focuses on supporting tools that will manipulate the assembly itself (graphical or otherwise).

SC is not about manipulating the assembly, it aims at providing an integration layer for existing service implementation tooling to integrate with with STP platform in term of
  • making the service implementations they produce available to the assembly model (i.e. as componentType)
  • allowing change notification and synchronisations between the service assembly tools and the various implementations tools it uses.
  • providing generic/convenience tools like a central assembly resources view to help.
We do not really have more detailed requirements yet as we need to work more with the SCA/STP framework and understand better what will be needed. The plan is to acquire that understanding by 1st focusing  on developing an initial exemplary tool based on the Celtix runtime. So both the Celtix tools and the SC platform will be worked on in parallel.

rgds,
d.