[stp-dev] Re: [Open letter to STP regarding BPEL and other verticals, from the Eclipse BPEL Designer team

There's been a lot of activity in this mail list and its difficult to know which to respond to.

First, I would like to say that as a long time Eclipse committer (one of the original, actually) I am disappointed by the direction these discussions have taken.  Mostly I've heard spurious and defensive arguments about why this current situation is acceptable.  But plainly it is not.  It is silly to argue that there is no overlap, and that's its ok that there is overlap.  The current climate is not healthy for the Eclipse open source community.

My single goal is to deliver the best open source software for process choreography, and to support an open source community of SOA components, because I believe that this is in the best interest of the industry and the community.  I believe that the majority of the people involved in this effort have this shared goal.  If however someone has a goal that is different than this, then they should be contributing through a private commercial offering, not through the Eclipse community.

Given that both projects (BPEL Designer, STP and its subprojects) are relatively new, it is not surprising that decisions were made in isolation which now perhaps do not make sense.

I believe the BPEL Designer position is clear, which is that we will deliver a BPEL compliant extensible editor, model, and validation, with support for deployment to a number of executable environments.  BPEL is a thing unto its own.  It can exist in an SOA environment, or not.  STP is just one of many contexts for BPEL.

Thus to us on the BPEL Designer project, it would make sense to have bindings for STP, because we believe STP is important, and it seems natural to us that those bindings should be hosted by the BPEL Designer project, just like we'll be hosting bindings for other execution environments.

Because of this runtime context neutrality of BPEL, its unclear to the BPEL Designer team why one would host BPEL work under the STP project, because again the applicability of BPEL is much larger than just STP.  We can understand how one might've found oneself there because (A) SOA without choreography isn't that useful in practice and (B) the BPEL Designer project either didn't exist or wasn't clearly viable at the time.  That is not the situation today.

The BPEL Designer project has a UI and EMF model seeded from commercial code which shipped in major products.  It has development resources dedicated to it, on both the IBM and Oracle sides, with new resources being contributed from academia in the UK.  It is relevant, with interest mounting, staffed by excellent people with experience shipping BPEL choreography.  If someone wants to roll their own open source BPEL editor then they can go ahead but the community will gravitate to the one which is first and with the strongest editing experience and backing.   Having two in Eclipse open source is pretty clearly a waste of time.

I understand STP wanting to encourage and support the development of SOA components.  This is a good thing.  We support it too.  And I can understand how that might've led to the notion of subprojects to host component work such as BPMN (since maybe there was nowhere else to do that work).  However, I believe that is the wrong structure.  STP should of course host work which is SOA specific.   However, as above, BPEL is not SOA technology, nor is BPMN.  As contributors come to the table with their own components, be them choreography or otherwise, I do not expect them to be hosted as subprojects of STP.  In my mind, the whole point of SOA is the clean separation of framework and opaque component.  The STP project should reflect this architectural separation in its project organization.

BPMN is a modelling language aimed at business users.  STP is a platform to support SOA components.  Hosting both is I believe beyond the STP charter, confuses the notion of SOA separation, and provides an implicit advantage to one Eclipse choreography component over another.  By analogy, this is like Windows (OS) including IE (application).

I believe STP needs to make its position clear on hosting of components as subprojects, BPMN now and others in the future, and how this is in keeping with its charter.

Yours,
Kevin McGuire

Back to the top