[stp-dev] Todays IRC

[12:01] cctrieloff: Will start in about 3-5 minutes
[12:01] adisakala: carl could you give the call details for this call?
[12:02] DavidBosschaert: Most people from the Dublin office wont be attending since our firewall doesnt allow IRC yet. I'm dialing in from home.
[12:02] cctrieloff: Bridge phone number:203 480 4654
[12:02] cctrieloff: participant code: 314620
[12:02] adisakala: thanks.
[12:02] cctrieloff: We need someoe that is on the bridge to relay the text to the IRC
[12:03] cctrieloff: any volenteers?
[12:03] DavidBosschaert: Why not just go IRC?
[12:03] cctrieloff: Next week we will only do IRC
[12:07] *** askehill has joined #eclipseSTP.
[12:07] askehill: howdy, finally got logged in!
[12:07] cctrieloff: Adrian, is it posted as #eclipseSTP on the newslist?
[12:08] askehill: the mail I was looking at was missing the #
[12:08] cctrieloff: ok
[12:08] cctrieloff: I wounder if other are having the same issue
[12:08] DavidBosschaert: And a spelling mistake. I just posted the correct spelling (including #) on the newsgroup.
[12:08] cctrieloff: did you post that back to the news list?
[12:09] DavidBosschaert: Yep
[12:09] cctrieloff: with the correction
[12:09] DavidBosschaert: Yep
[12:09] cctrieloff: thanks
[12:10] cctrieloff: let's start the business
[12:10] cctrieloff: build system
[12:10] askehill: ok, i know it was late enough, did everybody get a chance to read the proposal
[12:11] cctrieloff: Dan from IBM sopke about using the elcipse built in mechism
[12:11] askehill: it's pretty much based around what we currently use for the GUI right now
[12:11] cctrieloff: how does this differ from your proposal
[12:11] askehill: I tried that in the past when I was writing the original build system
[12:11] cctrieloff: what where the issues?
[12:11] askehill: the main problem I came across was that to use ant and the ant tasks that it provided, I had to launch the IDE
[12:12] askehill: which became a problem for automation purposes
[12:12] cctrieloff: ok, we need to be able to automate it
[12:12] askehill: I must confess that I haven't re-visited that since Eclipse 3.1 so there maybe some improvements
[12:12] DavidBosschaert: Did WTP have code coverage like your proposal?
[12:12] askehill: However the build system that we have in place uses the Eclipse plugin descriptors and manifests to do the build
[12:12] askehill: I didn't see any evidence of that
[12:13] cctrieloff: can you build our builds from inside eclispe IDE?
[12:13] cctrieloff: we want a cmd line and GUI level build
[12:14] askehill: it's more along the lines of ant can build the same stuff that the IDE would have built
[12:14] askehill: we respect all the eclipse descriptors and created some ant tasks that allows us to parse manifests, plugin.xml etc and generate an identical output to what the IDE would have done
[12:16] cctrieloff: the platfrom team is looking at using something like maven (from Karl Reti voice)
[12:16] cctrieloff: don't know if it is ready yet
[12:16] MikeG: Celtix build is moving to maven
[12:17] cctrieloff: suggestion is to ping the plafrom team at eclipse - as they are base of this..
[12:17] MikeG: Seems to be the current trend for open source projects
[12:17] cctrieloff: thoughts
[12:17] adisakala: Actually celtix has already moved to maven.
[12:17] MikeG: right
[12:17] MikeG: thanks adi
[12:17] DavidBosschaert: How quickly would it bring us something that works?
[12:17] adisakala: and it provides full support for both command line building and also building the project from GUI, it thats what is being talked about.
[12:18] MikeG: Adi, do you think maven people would be interested in setting up maven build for this project, the way they helped w/ Celtix build system?
[12:18] cctrieloff: I don't have a issues what we use, I just want to be able to run tests and be "most compatible" with the Eclipse env we work in
[12:19] DavidBosschaert: Building Celtix is certainly different from building eclipse plugins, AFAIK Celtix does not have eclipse plugins. We have working ant buildsystems should we not start with that?
[12:19] adisakala: If you guys have done any customizations to Ant then those customizations have to be compared with the maven capabilities.
[12:19] adisakala: yes david right.
[12:21] cctrieloff: so lets discuss how we build this thing
[12:21] cctrieloff: should we create another dir in CVS top level called build
[12:21] cctrieloff: and the build system would cover all subprojects
[12:21] cctrieloff: or do we have a build dir per subproject?
[12:22] DavidBosschaert: I would be in favour of a build per subproject and then a top level build that can do all the subprojs in one go.
[12:22] adisakala: what do other projects at Eclipse do for this?
[12:22] adisakala: i believe they all have subprojects right?
[12:22] cctrieloff: (Karl - voice) thinks we should have a top level build dir to tie it together and have the common components in it
[12:23] DavidBosschaert: Someone needs to make a call what we start off with tho.
[12:24] cctrieloff: I want to get to be able to create a build dir in each project and (do I ask the EMO) to create a top level build dir
[12:25] cctrieloff: then we set up a working build in test in the ?top level? one and give it a run
[12:25] DavidBosschaert: And out comes a test report and a coverage report!
[12:26] cctrieloff: sounds good
[12:27] cctrieloff: david, would you be willing to support adrain in seeting up the build system?
[12:27] DavidBosschaert: Certainly, either myself or Oisin from the Curry group could help out.
[12:27] cctrieloff: I will ask the EMO about getting top level dir and then we will create a first cut of the build system
[12:27] cctrieloff: that sounds great
[12:28] cctrieloff: Agree outcomes:
[12:28] *** askehill has signed off IRC (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer)).
[12:29] cctrieloff: 1. We will create a top level build dir
[12:29] cctrieloff: 2. we will create a build dir per project
[12:29] *** askehill has joined #eclipseSTP.
[12:30] cctrieloff: 3. We will setup a build system in the top level that will do cmd and gui build with a test and coverage messuerment
[12:30] cctrieloff: everyone agree?
[12:30] cctrieloff: sound right Adi/Mike?
[12:30] MikeG: Yes
[12:31] DavidBosschaert: Cool
[12:31] adisakala: sounds good.
[12:31] cctrieloff: ok - are we donr with this topic
[12:31] cctrieloff: ?
[12:32] MikeG: I think so
[12:32] askehill: Yip, i'll catch up with the archives to make sure I haven't missed anything
[12:32] MikeG: Now we just have to figure out what we're going to build :-)
[12:32] cctrieloff: I would like to move the discussion across to the stp-dev list
[12:33] cctrieloff: I had issues getting ontp the dev list as my IONA alias and e-mail are different. The mail servers will deny unless the alias match
[12:34] cctrieloff: I will post this IRC to the dev list. I will not cc the news list this time
[12:34] cctrieloff: all good with that
[12:34] cctrieloff: I don't have more topic for today. Let try get something building for next week :-)
[12:34] askehill: HelloWorld.java?
[12:35] askehill: :-)
[12:36] cctrieloff: yes should we have a build a test file in each subproject from the root build system.
[12:37] cctrieloff: Adrian will write it up and post it ( from voice)
[12:37] cctrieloff: With this we will close
[12:37] MikeG: adios
[12:37] askehill: ok, just recapping from the phone conversation
[12:37] adisakala: ciao
[12:38] askehill: - we'll create a sub dir corresponding to each proposed subproject that will be part of the STP
[12:38] askehill: each of these will have a very minimal component inside that will need to be built and the build system will:
[12:38] askehill: 1. offer the ability to build all of these subprojects from a high level build file
[12:38] askehill: 2. allow each of them to be build indepdently
[12:39] askehill: I think that was what we agreed, does this need to be done for next Wed?
[12:39] *** MikeG has signed off IRC ("Leaving").
[12:46] cctrieloff: let see who far we get for next week
[12:46] cctrieloff: but next week would be nice..

Back to the top