[stem-ebola] Basic Reproduction Number as Sum of Community + Hospital + Funeral

Hello all,

During last week's call (which was excellent), we had briefly discussed the basic reproduction number contributions from Community Transmission (RI), Hospital Transmission (RH), and Funeral Transmission (RF). There was substantial interest in evaluating how these parameters might impact the spread of the virus.

I found the paper which discussed these values in the context of the 2014 Ebola outbreak. . . They are originally from the Legrand et al. model published in 2007, but were discussed in the Gomes et al. PLOS paper published Sep 2nd, 2014.

"In the Legrand et al. model [10] the basic reproductive number can be written as the sum of three terms relative to the transmission in the community, hospital and funeral settings, yielding RI = 0.8 [0.3 − 0.9], RH = 0.4 [0.2 − 1.4] and RF = 0.6 [0.2 − 1.0], respectively." (Gomes et al., 2014).

sources:

Assessing the International Spreading Risk Associated with the 2014 West African Ebola Outbreak (Gomes et al, 2014)

link: http://currents.plos.org/outbreaks/article/assessing-the-international-spreading-risk-associated-with-the-2014-west-african-ebola-outbreak/

...and the original paper which discussed these parameters...

[10] Legrand J, Grais R, Boelle P, Valleron A, Flahault A (2007) Understanding the dynamics of Ebola epidemics. Epidemiol Infect 135: 610. link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2870608/

Hope this helps.

Back to the top