[stem-dev] Update from Emily Nixon on Rectangles

I am forwarding this material on behalf of Emily Nixon.

From: Emily Nixon
Sent: 03 August 2017 16:56
To: stem-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Rectangle around nodes

Hi all,

I've successfully managed to import my pajek file that has ~73,000 nodes and 100,000s of edges!

However, when I visualise/display the graph in STEM it has annoying rectangular boxes around each node. I know that this is what usually happens when you create your own nodes, but it's very annoying when I have so many of them (see example of a small area of my graph below, or attached):

cid:0e6386d7-7b3a-4ef2-bab5-511314bced39

I couldn't find anything in the wiki about how to change them (or what they are actually for) other than the following from http://wiki.eclipse.org/Visualizing_and_Editing_Graphs:

"This allows you to create a new node at the location, where you have right-clicked. The polygon of a newly created node is a rectangle, whose side length has to be specified in a dialog".

As I didn't create my graph in the graph editor, I can't even change the size of the rectangle to make it really small.

So my questions are:

(1) What is the purpose of the rectangles around the nodes in a graph?

(2) How are you able to remove them/change their size or shape when you are importing a pajek graph? If I could change them, I would want to make them circles with a radius of 517 metres (the average size I am assuming for a farm).

Best wishes,

Emily

Emily Nixon
PhD Student