Re: [stem-dev] Notes from today's STEM community call

Hi everyone,

Further to our discussions on the last conference, below is the list of modifications that some STEM help pages might need.

First of all, I would like to thank the STEM experts for their great work. While I found STEM help pages very helpful in addition to the www.eclipse.org/stem/ pages as well, I have a little suggestion.

I believe everyone already knows that in software world some problems can last for unnecessarily long time to solve. As an example, when I started to learn STEM, I troubled with very slow running scenarios. After reading many pages from here and there, I started to try big solutions, such as, increasing the allocated memory to run STEM. However, when I contacted the stem-dev community, I get the answer from Jamie (many thanks to him!) by saying simply I needed to uncheck the pause feature from the preferences menu, then, I said, Ohhhhh, if I just knew this before wasting all that time.

But wait, that does not mean I am a lazy guy, on the contrary, I enjoy hardworking and learning. Nevertheless, the problem is unnecessarily wasting time, which is the scarcest resource in almost every project, don’t you think?!

Now my suggestion is, if our respectable STEM experts can spare half an hour every couple of days to set back, and run whatever screenshots capture software they have, and then start showing us how to do things. Ranging from downloading STEM, creating and running scenarios, check code, write and upload code using eGit, etc, etc, etc.

That is it! This half an hour video will for sure worth numerous pages of help documentations. Thus, I believe, if STEM experts could make a list of such videos, it will become much easier and faster for many people to get onboard and start participating effectively in using and developing STEM project.

I hope this suggestion will get your attention. Thank you.

Now, comments I have on STEM help pages are as follows:

·        The text size needs to be adjustable to suit all people, especially people who use reading glasses as I do. Windows OS has features to do this by using either the magnifier tool or changing the screen resolution, however, many disadvantages exist.

·        STEM user Help > Interface > Perspectives > Analysis

o   The new version 2.0.1 (that I am using now) has 8 taps instead of five tabs.

o   The new taps are: Error log, Time series, and Phase space.

o   Although these views and perspectives are customizable, for new users this can be confusing.

·        STEM user Help > Interface > Views > …..

o   I could not find some of the explained views when I tried to access them through:  Window > Others … > …..

o   These views are: Disease View, Report View, CSV Logger

·        STEM user Help > Interface > Wizards > New Disease

o   The list of the disease models has been changed. For example, the suggested model “Deterministic SI Disease Model Impl” does not exist in the new version software. Thus, the screen shot is different from one might see.

·        STEM user Help > Interface > Wizards > New Automatic Experiment

o   Some text seem to be cut out from the end of the page

Suggestions and comments from the community are very welcomed. Have a great weekend.

Best Regards
Hussam Ghunaim