[stem-dev] Notes from STEM Community Call August 18, 2011

STEM Community Call August 18, 2011

On the call: Jamie, Kun, Matthias, Matt, Chris, Judy

Topics of the Week

1. STEM Release 1.2.1 is up

  • Code-based merge is done, changes integrated back into head

2. Planning for 1.3

  • Release date. IBM internal team will discuss slipping date from 10/31/2011, place issue on next week’s agenda
    • Possible resolution: Add 1.2.2 release, make 1.3 later
  • Features ready for October release:
    • Ten years of Earth Science Data (2000-2010) available as STEM ''Features'' via Eclipse infrastructure
    • Malaria Disease Model (''Anopheles'' calibrated)
    • Dengue Fever Disease Model (''Aedes'' not yet calibrated)
    • Additional NLS + User ability to switch languages. Several initial translations available (, German, Korean); front page in NLS will tell users they can toggle back to English
    • Logger Framework with new loggers. Matt is working on this
    • Bug fixes from 1.2.1
    • New differential equation solvers from commons.math library. Stefan is adding
  • Features requiring more flexibility in timing; will be focus of discussion on release date (see first bullet under 2 above)
    • Shape File Import Utility. Dependency on Open Map requires CQ by Eclipse. Matthias: Contracts will be let next week, may have first prototype ready by end of October but will not have final product until late November.
    • Integrating external models for study of food based transmission. Matthias: Same as above item
  • No other items identified for 1.3
  • Presentation slides. Jamie: will prepare slides for Eclipse leaders, may ask Matthias for input on his team’s contributions
  • Open CQs? Eclipse leaders may ask for phone call on slides, CQ for Babel discussed below

3. Colors. Jamie: Dengue fever work requires more colors

  • Updated colors on map, timeseries, and analysis timeseries views
  • TODO: org.eclipse.core.runtime.Preferences; is deprecated. This class is replaced by IEclipsePreferences. then.... option to add more Colors
  • All behind the scenes, will have no impact on Tutorial

4. Update on Babel: Matt

·         After we publish on Babel, Babel processes, Eclipse reviews

·         Babel publishes nightly, shows latest changes; we will use nightly builds in our weekly

5. Werner's abstract submission. Jamie will assist Werner with material if Eclipse Europe accepts

6. Dengue Fever Model

  • Ready for Weekly build
  • Kudos to Kun and Chris!
  • Jamie: Add simple model to Kun’s project
  • Chris: Send to Derek and Justin for review
  • Matthias: Would like copy

7. Items from participants

·         Kun: Submitted abstract to Stanford conference

·         Matthias: Status of parallelization of computerization? Jamie: Feasibility testing is done; funding is the issue that keeps this from being a top priority; until funding is secured, will focus on what we are doing now:

Back to the top