Re: [stem-dev] SVN Directory Structure

Hi I'm okay with most of the suggestions below, I think we can reorganize so that in the future it's simplifies putting components on update sites for download. Any other thoughts? I'm still not totally clear where the ...internal.data project goes, but that's a minor issue.

Thanks,
/ Stefan

Stefan Edlund
Public Health and Computer Science Research
IBM Almaden Research Center
(408) 927-1766 edlund@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Inactive hide details for Daniel Ford ---06/05/2009 04:54:33 AM---Some thoughts:Daniel Ford ---06/05/2009 04:54:33 AM---Some thoughts:

          Daniel Ford <daford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: stem-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

          06/05/2009 04:50 AM

          Please respond to
          STEM developer mailing list <stem-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

Re: [stem-dev] SVN Directory Structure

Some thoughts:
1) I'm not sure what the extra "components" segment adds to the brew. Seems like just an extra thing to type in at this point.
2) The disposition of the current top-level ant script is a release engineering issue. My suggestion is to really break apart the different components of STEM, build them "separately" and put them on the update site as separate features. This would allow different teams working on different components to decouple their activities. This doesn't mean that there can't be something that can build it all, just that it would be useful to decouple these activities.
3) Don't have just one top-level "doc" component. Make each individual sub-component have its own documentation contributions. The Eclipse documentation system handles this quite nicely.
4) Don't have a separate "data" component, there's a geography component that has data, a disease component that has data, etc.

Dan

Inactive hide details for Stefan Edlund ---06/04/2009 01:24:29 PM---Sounds okay, with me. Here's a first crack trying to map thStefan Edlund ---06/04/2009 01:24:29 PM---Sounds okay, with me. Here's a first crack trying to map the paths, some of these are most likely completely wrong, we should i
                  Stefan Edlund <edlund@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                  Sent by: stem-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

                  06/04/2009 01:23 PM

Please respond to
STEM developer mailing list <stem-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Subject

Re: [stem-dev] SVN Directory Structure

Sounds okay, with me. Here's a first crack trying to map the paths, some of these are most likely completely wrong, we should iterate it a few times.
Old PathNew Path
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.doc/trunk/components/doc/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.doc
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.feature/trunk/components/core/features/org.eclipse.stem.feature
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.feature.core/trunk/components/core/features/org.eclipse.stem.feature.core
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.feature.prereq/trunk/components/core/features/org.eclipse.stem.feature.prereq
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.releng/trunk/components/releng/org.eclipse.stem.releng
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.analysis/trunk/components/analysis/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.analysis
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.analysis.automaticexperiment/trunk/components/analysis/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.analysis.automaticexperiment
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.core/trunk/components/core/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.core
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.data.diseasemodels.models/trunk/components/diseasemodels/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.data.diseasemodels.models
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.data.diseasemodels.scenarios/trunk/components/diseasemodels/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.data.diseasemodels.scenarios
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.data.geography/trunk/components/geography/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.data.geography
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.data.geography.infrastructure.transportation/trunk/components/transportation/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.data.geography.infrastructure.transportation
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.data.geography.models/trunk/components/geography/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.data.geography.models
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.data.geography.population.human/trunk/components/geography/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.data.geography.population.human
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.data.geography.population.human.models/trunk/components/geography/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.data.geography.population.human.models
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.definitions/trunk/components/core/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.definitions
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.diseasemodels/trunk/components/diseasemodels/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.data.diseasemodels
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.diseasemodels.example/trunk/components/diseasemodels/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.data.diseasemodels.example
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.diseasemodels.experimental/trunk/components/diseasemodels/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.data.diseasemodels.experimental
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.diseasemodels.externaldatasource/trunk/components/diseasemodels/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.data.diseasemodels.externaldatasource
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.diseasemodels.forcing/trunk/components/diseasemodels/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.data.diseasemodels.forcing
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.diseases/trunk/components/diseasemodels/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.data.diseases
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.geography/trunk/components/geography/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.geography
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.internal.data/trunk/components/data/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.internal.data
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.internal.data.geography/trunk/components/data/geography/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.internal.data
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.internal.data.geography.infrastructure.transportation/trunk/components/data/transportation/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.internal.geography.infrastruture.transportation
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.internal.data.geography.models/trunk/components/data/geography/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.internal.data.geography.models
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.internal.data.geography.population/trunk/components/data/geography/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.internal.data.geography.population
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.internal.data.geography.population.human/trunk/components/data/geography/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.internal.data.geography.population.human
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.internal.data.geography.population.human.models/trunk/components/data/geography/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.internal.data.geography.population.human.models
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.internal.diseasemodels.models/trunk/components/data/diseasemodels/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.internal.diseasmodels.models
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.internal.diseasemodels.scenarios/trunk/components/data/diseasemodels/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.internal.diseasemodels.scenarios
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.jobs/trunk/components/jobs/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.jobs
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.jobs.nl1/trunk/components/jobs/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.jobs.nl1
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.sample/trunk/components/sample/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.sample
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.sequencers/trunk/components/core/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.sequencers
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.tests.automaticexperiment/trunk/components/analysis/tests/org.eclipse.stem.tests.automaticexperiment
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.tests.core/trunk/components/core/tests/org.eclipse.stem.tests.core
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.tests.definitions/trunk/components/core/tests/org.eclipse.stem.tests.definitions
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.tests.diseasemodels/trunk/components/diseasemodels/tests/org.eclipse.stem.tests.diseasemodels
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.tests.diseasemodels.example/trunk/components/diseasemodels/tests/org.eclipse.stem.tests.diseasemodels.example
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.tests.diseasemodels.experimental/trunk/components/diseasemodels/tests/org.eclipse.stem.tests.diseasemodels.experimental
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.tests.diseasemodels.externaldatasource/trunk/components/diseasemodels/tests/org.eclipse.stem.tests.diseasemodels.externaldatasource
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.tests.diseasemodels.forcing/trunk/components/diseasemodels/tests/org.eclipse.stem.tests.diseasemodels.forcing
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.tests.jobs/trunk/components/jobs/tests/org.eclipse.stem.tests.jobs
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.tests.sequencers/trunk/components/core/tests/org.eclipse.stem.tests.sequencers
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.tests.transport/trunk/components/transport/tests/org.eclipse.stem.tests.transport
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.tests.ui/trunk/components/core/tests/org.eclipse.stem.tests.ui
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.tests.ui.ge/trunk/components/jobs/tests/org.eclipse.stem.tests.ui.ge
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.tests.util/trunk/components/util/tests/org.eclipse.stem.tests.util
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.transport/trunk/components/transport/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.transport
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.ui/trunk/components/core/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.ui
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.ui.diseasemodels/trunk/components/diseasemodels/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.ui.diseasemodels
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.ui.diseasemodels.externaldatasource/trunk/components/diseasemodels/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.ui.diseasemodels.externaldatasource
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.ui.diseasemodels.forcing/trunk/components/diseasemodels/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.ui.forcing
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.ui.ge/trunk/core/diseasemodels/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.ui.ge
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.ui.nl1/trunk/components/diseasemodels/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.ui.nl1
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.ui.reports/trunk/components/analysis/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.ui.reports
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.util.analysis/trunk/components/analysis/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.ui.analysis
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.util.loggers/trunk/components/util/bundles/org.eclipse.stem.util.loggers
org.eclipse.ohf.stem.utility/trunk/components/util/org.eclipse.stem.utility
Stefan Edlund
Public Health and Computer Science Research
IBM Almaden Research Center
(408) 927-1766 edlund@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Inactive hide details for Matthew Davis---06/04/2009 08:57:17 AM---I went back to look at some of the existing conventions, a fMatthew Davis---06/04/2009 08:57:17 AM---I went back to look at some of the existing conventions, a few extra notes:
                                  Matthew Davis/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS
                                  Sent by: stem-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

                                  06/04/2009 08:46 AM

Please respond to
STEM developer mailing list <stem-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc
Subject

Re: [stem-dev] SVN Directory Structure

I went back to look at some of the existing conventions, a few extra notes:

- Looks like UI components are generally
not split from their underlying logic components. They exist in the same sub-directory, so an "rcp" top directory may not be necessary. For example, org.eclipse.stem.core and org.eclipse.stem.ui would probably stay together.
- I don't see a consistent pattern for "internal" projects, so maybe we just need to bin the components dealing with data into a "data" directory.

Stefan, we might want to bring some of your list up to a higher level in the structure (to be consistent with other projects). For example:

/trunk/components/core
/trunk/components/diseasemodels
/trunk/components/transport
/trunk/data(?)/geography
/trunk/data(?)/transport
/trunk/data(?)/diseasemodels
/trunk/releng
/trunk/utility
/trunk/doc
...etc

I guess the problem with being too granular is it makes it harder to checkout (instead of just selecting all the items from a singe list). An Eclipse Project Set for single checkout will be a nice entry in the releng folder or top-level.

Thoughts?

-Matt

(See attached file: pic01461.gif)