[stem-dev] Re: Air transport for world checked in

New level 0 center data now checked in for all of these countries.
The problem was that we have no level 0 polygon for them so centers could not be computed
Fix was to average the level 1 data
We need to submit a bug to generate the missing level 0 polygons (which can be done from the level 1 data)
Best Regards,
Jamie

IBM Almaden Research Center, 650 Harry Rd.
San Jose, CA 95120-6099
email: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
phone: (408) 927-2477  (tie 457-2477)

Stefan Edlund/Almaden/IBM

05/28/2009 04:40 PM

James Kaufman/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS
cc
stem-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, Yossi Mesika/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
Subject
Re: Air transport for world checked inLink

Sure, here it is:

ALB
AND
AUS
AUT
BEL
BGR
BIH
CAN
CHE
CZE
DJI
DNK
ESP
FIN
FRA
GBR
GRC
HKG
HRV
HUN
IRL
ISL
ITA
LIE
LUX
NLD
NOR
POL
PRT
ROU
RUS
SMR
SRB
SVN
SWE
UKR

Stefan Edlund
Public Health and Computer Science Research
IBM Almaden Research Center
(408) 927-1766   edlund@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

James Kaufman/Almaden/IBM

05/28/2009 04:23 PM

Stefan Edlund/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS
cc
stem-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, Yossi Mesika/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL@IBMDE
Subject
Re: Air transport for world checked inLink

Hi Stefan,

Can you send me the codes or IDs for the locations with no centers? I can easily fix it.

We had code to do this manually but I though Yossi  automatically computes the centers if they do not exist.
Yossi, is this correct? If not I can easily generate the missing centers.
Best Regards,
Jamie

IBM Almaden Research Center, 650 Harry Rd.
San Jose, CA 95120-6099
email: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
phone: (408) 927-2477  (tie 457-2477)

Stefan Edlund/Almaden/IBM

05/28/2009 04:14 PM

stem-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, James Kaufman/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS
cc
Subject
Air transport for world checked in

You need to run the ant script update.xml under org.eclipse.ohf.stem.internal.data.geography.infrastructure.transportation to build the models.

The air transportation edges won't show up on the map when you select from the drop down. I narrowed down the problem to the XXX_centers.properties files under org.eclipse.ohf.stem.data.geography/org.eclipse.ohf.stem.data.geography.centers.  Some files are missing the center for level 0. For instance, I built a model for scandinavia and none of denmark, sweden, norway or finland had the level 0 center. It's required to draw the air transport edges. Jamie, I think you generate these files, is it an easy fix?

Here is the the (now patched) file where I got the original data from:

There's a utility that reads this file and generates the .properties file used by the ant script.

Finally, some assumptions we might need to look into:

Assume level 2 is county, level 1 is state and level 0 is country

If we have admin level 2 data for a region in the file above, these are the rules:
  •         There's a 0 % chance that a flight departs and lands in the same county
  •         There's a 5 % chance that a flight departs one county and lands in another county within the same state (intra-state)
  •         There's a 50 % chance that a flight departs a county and lands in a different country (international)

If we only have admin level 1 data for a region in the file above, these are the rules:
  •         There's a 0 % chance that a flight departs and lands in the same state (intra-state)
  •         There's a 2 % chance that a flight departs one state and lands in a differerent state in the same country (inter-state)

If we only have admin 0 data for a region above, the rule is:
  •         There's a 0 % chance that a flight departs and lands in the same country

The motivation being if we have less data (fewer airports) it's likely it's a small country and most flights are international.
Thanks,
/ Stefan