Re: [stem-dev] 64 Bit STEM

Cool, how many concurrent worker threads did you use to run the simulation? I think the default is 2 if you didn't change it.

On my x3500 64 bit Ubuntu quad core 16 GB memory running the ant script takes 1:58 minutes too. Pretty good :)

/Stefan

Stefan Edlund
Public Health and Computer Science Research
IBM Almaden Research Center
(408) 927-1766 edlund@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Inactive hide details for Daniel Ford ---04/03/2009 03:00:52 PM---I've been experimenting with running STEM on a 64 bit machineDaniel Ford ---04/03/2009 03:00:52 PM---I've been experimenting with running STEM on a 64 bit machine with the 64 bit version of Java 6 and various Heap sizes and garb

          Daniel Ford <daford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: stem-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

          04/03/2009 03:00 PM

          Please respond to
          STEM developer mailing list <stem-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

stem-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

cc

Subject

[stem-dev] 64 Bit STEM

I've been experimenting with running STEM on a 64 bit machine with the 64 bit version of Java 6 and various Heap sizes and garbage collection options.

This is running on a Mac Pro with 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors and 8 GB of RAM.

I configured it to run with up to 6GB of Heap and ran the built-in USA Level 0,1,2 Scenario starting in Florida.
I configured for three different GC options, default, Parallel and concurrent Mark and Sweep.

As a matter of interest, running the update.xml script for the entire project on the 64 bit Java 6 JRE takes just over two minutes to complete. On my (older) windows machine (dual processors, 4GB, 32bit Java 1.5) running XP, the same operation takes over 18 minutes.

Dan