Re: [stellation-res] Evaluating stellation

Sorry to have taken so long to reply to this; we've all been absolutely swamped lately.

I wouldn't currently suggest using Stellation for production. I think it's reasonably close, but there are a few problems:

- Our command-line tool is broken. The command-line code has been around for a long time, and it suffers from major bit-rot; the original system model, storage model, and data structures have all changed quite significantly since then; the command-line has been fixed over time for those changes, but it's reached the point where the fundamental structure of the whole thing is just wrong, and needs to be rewritten rather than just patched.
- Our Eclipse client does not provide support for managing access control lists. ACLs are a very important tool in production use; currently, the only way to work with them is through the (broken) command-line tool.

We're also in the midst of a dramatic change in the project; Stellation is moving from its old API to WVCM, which dictates a lot of semantic changes in the internals. The main reason for not fixing the two issues above is because they would both need to be redone to work with WVCM; so we're going to finish WVCM first, and then go back and rewrite the command-line tool, and see about providing some useful UI for administrative tasks like managing ACLs, user accounts, etc.

        -Mark

Mark Craig Chu-Carroll,  IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
*** The Stellation project: Advanced SCM Research
***      http://stellation.eclipse.org
*** Work: mcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/Home: markcc@xxxxxxx

Joel Shellman <joel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: stellation-res-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/18/04 02:48 PM

Please respond to
stellation-res

stellation-res@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[stellation-res] Evaluating stellation

Stellation is very interesting and I'm trying to understand if there's
anything I can do with it in my company:

1) Is it ready for production use and if not, how close is it?

2) Is there a relatively simple way I can download it and try it out?

3) Is there an IRC channel that is used to discuss things? I noticed a
reference to #stellation on freenode.net in the mail archives but don't
see anyone in there.

Thank you!

Joel Shellman