Re: [stellation-res] Around Stellation

Rafal:

Since you seem interested, and you've been active on the mailing list, would you like to have an account on the Stellation repository?

Unlike CVS, we don't have to have an all or nothing approach to repository access. So we can start you off with read-access to anything in the repository,
and with the privileges to create a branch and perform checkins in that branch. So you'll be able to do both checkouts and checkins, but you won't initially
be able to check in to the main/integration branch. We can up your privileges to full commit rights to the main branch later, after you've had some experience with the code.

        -Mark

Mark Craig Chu-Carroll,  IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
*** The Stellation project: Advanced SCM Research
***      http://stellation.eclipse.org
*** Work: mcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/Home: markcc@xxxxxxx

Rafal Krzewski <Rafal.Krzewski@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: stellation-res-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/16/04 05:14 AM

Please respond to
stellation-res

stellation-res@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[stellation-res] Around Stellation

Hello,

For some time now I was thinking what pieces of software are necessary
to provide a complete SCM experience, because it's more than obvious
that a server an Eclipse plugin are not enough to take over the world
:-). It's definetely not practical to attempt to create all of them at
once, but I think it's good to have a list - it can be useful when
desiging the core sofware.

Here's my list of the "Stellation SCM suite" deliverables with some
notes links to similar software. I think it would make a fine TWiki
page. I'm willing to maintain it if you are interested.

1. Server
delivered as:
- NT/W2k service executable
- linux executable that is able to handle SIGHUP and SIGSTOP

2. Client library
purpose:
- Taking over the world, obviously. Needed for third party tools
integration with Stellation.
delivered as:
- a jar, javadocs, nice documentation.
similar:
- http://javacvs.netbeans.org/library/index.html

3. Command line client

4. Standalone GUI client
puropse:
- Adoption of Stellation by the people who consider Eclipse too bloated,
and command line too scary.
delivered as:
- Eclipse RAC application. Can probably reuse most of the Eclipse plugin
visual components.
similar:
- http://www.wincvs.org/

5. IDE plugin client
purpose:
- Sustaining the developer in the daily struggle agaist Chaos.
delivered as:
- IDE plugins, obviously. Except Eclipse, IDEA and NetBeans are viable
targets.

6. Online browsing tool
purpose:
- Browsing current and historical project contents without checking them
out, or even launching a client app.
features:
- browsing sources of a specified branch
- diffing between arbitrary revisions
- coloured diffs
- source colorization
- source lines annotate / developer blame
- zip exports
- branching visualization http://www.akhphd.au.dk/~bertho/cvsgraph/#example
- Bonsai (http://www.mozilla.org/bonsai.html) style queries about recent
and past activities
delivered as:
- a J2EE war package that can be dropped any compliant servlet container.
similar:
- http://viewcvs.sourceforge.net/
- http://www.horde.org/chora/
integrates with:
- Bug tracking systems (Bugzilla, Jira
http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira)

7. E-mail activity notifications
purpose:
Notifying developers on what others are doing, through their mail reader.
delivered as:
- an extension jar deployed with the server. Driven by the server
through an event oriented Java API.
similar:
- http://www.badgers-in-foil.co.uk/projects/cvsspam/ (has links to other
similar packages)
integrates with:
- Online browsing tool
- Bug tracking systems

8. Reporting tools
purpose:
Providing all sorts of statistics and historical information about a
managed project. Useful to project managers, "top commiter of the month"
statistics are said to boost developer productivity.
delivered as:
- executable jar, or headles eclipse app
- ant taskdef
- maven plugin
similar:
http://statcvs-xml.berlios.de/

9. Import tools
purpose:
Migrating projects from CVS and possibly other SCM systems. In case of
CVS extracting of changesets must me done heuristically using comments
and commit dates, still it's possible.
similar:
http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/

10. Build systems integration
purpose:
Doing updates and checkouts as a part of automated continuous
integration builds. Needed for integration with CI systems like
CruiseControl (http://cruisecontrol.sourceforge.net/), AntHill
(http://www.urbancode.com/projects/anthill/default.jsp) or Maven
Continuum (planning stage ATM).
delivered as:
- Apache Ant taskdefs jar
- Apache Maven plugin (augmenting maven-scm-plugin)

Rafal