RE: [stellation-res] Self-hosting Stellation

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 02:03, DeSmet_Ringo@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Mark,

Definitely. I've already got that in progress. I'm hoping to check in
a preliminary version of the command-line separation today. (It's done,
but I'm having trouble running the tests using the new ant scripts, so I
can't tell if I broke anything.)

The server separation will take another full day or so of work.

Once that's done, I want to finish my new batch of tests, which is
probably another week of work. Once we have a set of client-independent
JUnit tests which pass, Florin's CLI unit test suite passes, and
Jonathan and my merge and access control tests pass, then we'll be ready
to start the hosting. So my best guess is at least two weeks from now
before we'll be ready.

> As a personal target, I would like to have the Oracle code
> up-to-date again with the other backends before we start self-hosting.

That would be terrific. Let us know if there's anything we can
do to help. From what I understand, we may need to do some
general work on how the database handles strings to make Oracle work
consistently.

>  BTW,
> on what DB would you be self-hosting? DB2 I suppose. :)

Not a chance. I will be administrating the self-host server. I don't
know how to administrate DB2. The problems that remain with the DB2
support all relate to database administration, and we don't have
sufficient DB2 knowledge to solve them, much less to administer a
DB2 database on an ongoing basis.

We're leaning towards Firebird. Postgres just doesn't take JDBC support
seriously, and we've had constant grief dealing with postgres, so we
don't want to use it. There's the licensing issue with MySQL, which
looks like it will get resolved, but it isn't resolved yet. Firebird is
fast, reliable, and has excellent JDBC support. So it's currently the
frontrunner.

	-Mark

--
Mark Craig Chu-Carroll,  IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
*** The Stellation project: Advanced SCM for Collaboration

Back to the top