Re: [stellation-res] Command line user diagnostics

On Sun, 2002-10-20 at 20:03, Jonathan Gossage wrote:
> I am finding quite a number of places in the command line implementation of
> Stellation where errors in user input are resulting in stack trace dumps in
> addition to problem text descriptions. I feel that it looks bad and serves
> little troubleshooting purpose to include a stack trace for simple user
> input errors. I feel that stack traces should be reserved for programming
> errors only.
>
> How to the rest of you feel on this issue>

I'm with you on this; in fact, I think I might even take a
stronger stance than what you proposed. I don't think that
a "production" version of Stellation should *ever* dump a stack trace
unless the user specified debug mode.

The code for handling errors is something that needs
serious work before the release. Until recently, we've
been working in debug mode. The error handling needs
a thorough scan, the messages need to be improved (it
often generates a generic error message and then prints
the exception to provide specific information).

	-Mark

--
Mark Craig Chu-Carroll,  IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
*** The Stellation project: Advanced SCM for Collaboration

Back to the top