[stardust-dev] Fwd: Ensuring consistent formatting (breaks, spacing, tabs vs. spaces, ...)

Hey,

(resend because the last mail went to the -request address instead of
the real list)

Whoever ported tabs to the electronic world should feel guilty.
Nevertheless, tabs are there. And some committers use tabs, some
don't. :)

In Winery, we distribute formatter templates and settings for "Java /
Editor / Save Actions".
There seems, however, no setting for space2tab conversion.

In Winery, we use the [AnyEdit tools] and distribute
`.settings/de.loskutov.anyedit.AnyEditTools.prefs` in the directories
of each Eclipse project. And we always use tabs. O:)

What do you do? How do you ensure that the code is consistently formatted?

[Stackoverflow] recommends using Checkstyle both in Eclipse and in the
Maven builds
An interesting idea is to [use the Eclipse code formatter in a command
line]. There is even a maven plugin for that:
https://code.google.com/p/maven-java-formatter-plugin/. [Apache CXF]
configures the workspace automatically using some magic :)

Cheers,

Oliver

  [AnyEdit tools]: http://andrei.gmxhome.de/anyedit/index.html
  [Stackoverflow]:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1955514/best-practices-for-code-formatting-on-large-projects
  [use the Eclipse code formatter in a command line]:
http://www.peterfriese.de/formatting-your-code-using-the-eclipse-code-formatter/
  [Apache CXF]:
http://cxf.apache.org/connecting-maven-eclipse-checkstyle-and-pmd.html

Back to the top