Re: [soc-dev] Request for comment on the new GSOC Idea

Hi Meher,

while I like the idea of integrating knowledge hosted at stack overflow, I think that this project is by far to big for a GSOC. In addition, whether this project will be a success is pretty uncertain. I’m aware of research work on this topic (see [1] for one example), but implementing such a system „right“ looks like it requires months of research + the time needed to implement it and make it ready-to-use for the larger Eclipse community. Since many gsoc projects that start from scratch tend to stop soon after the gsoc ends, I’m a bit reluctant to support this idea. Incomplete ideas are dead code no one will ever look at again. If there would be an existing prototype that shows some longer-running involvement, I’d consider mentoring it. But at the moment, I think this project is better hosted as research project at the university.

Thanks for the idea but I think it’s to ambitious for a GSOC.
Please note that these are just *my* 2cents which does not necessarily reflect the opinions of others in the Eclipse community.

Best,
Marcel