Re: [soc-dev] Congratulations and Reminder about a new idea

Mental note, Raghavender: check the "to" list before assuming that the message was directed to you exclusively :-)

For completeness, the soc-dev mailing list is monitored by both students and mentors. This is exactly the right place to be asking this sort of question.

We're still ramping up at this point. We're just in the early stages of collecting mentors, so don't give up hope of attracting a mentor to the project if you don't get a response right way. You may need to be persistent and ask a couple of more times before somebody steps forward.

  1. We know when we start to code many a time we get a doubt as to what is the syntax or how to use a particular method, To some extent the description that pops up for every suggestion does helps mostly for people who know or who have used that method before. (Reading from API and understanding, might not be so easy for students).
  2. So what i thought of was, to attach an other segment to the "Show View" sub menu, which would have something like "References/Tutorials". When we click on this option there would be a small tutorial(simple code snippet with sample input and output) of the method pointed to by the current cursor position.
  3.  This would help the student learn more java features as they are completing their task.
How is this different from the tutorials that are already in Eclipse? (go to "Help > Welcome" and select "Tutorials")

Perhaps there is an opportunity to improve the existing tutorials, or add new ones?

  1. So basically when we see the error stack on the console, we give another option "help from stack overflow" or something like that, and get some posts related to that error or exception.
  2. Then there would be a new tab opening (in Eclipse itself) where we can display the questions and comments related to that error.
Neat idea. We'd need, however, to have some kind of open API that lets us plugin other help providers (Eclipse is vendor-neutral which means that we can't favour any particular vendor).

To manage expections... I can't mentor this project.

Wayne