[soc-dev] Student Application period starts on Monday April 22/2013

The Google Summer of Code (GSoC) student application process starts tomorrow, April 22/2013 at 12pm (note that all times in the GSoC timeline are expressed in Pacific Time). Students, start your engines...

You must apply to participate in the programme through Google's Summer of Code website:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2013

We have provided an application template that should be available to you through Google's site. Please use that template as a starting point, but feel free to add whatever kind of information you believe will help us better understand your proposal and your ability to complete the tasks you describe.

Please note that you need to describe a specific set of tasks that you intend to complete during the summer term. Be specific. This isn't a job application. Do not create a proposal that proclaims nothing more than "I'd love to work with the Eclipse community". Such proposals are a waste of our mentors' time; to avoid wasting our mentors' time, I will just summarily reject any such proposals.

Your proposal needs to present a good project idea that adds value to the Eclipse community. You also need to demonstrate to us that you will be able to accomplish the tasks you describe. The onus is on you, the student, to convince the mentors that your proposal has merit, and is worth the considerable time and effort it will take to mentor you.

There will be time to update and revise your proposal after you submit it. Please do not submit an empty placeholder proposal. Do try with your initial submission to describe your complete project idea. We will let you know if you need to provide more detail. We will help you sort out how to identify an appropriate Eclipse project for your work.

As always, if you have any questions, please ask.

I look forward to reading your proposals.

Wayne
--
Wayne Beaton
Director of Open Source Projects, The Eclipse Foundation

Back to the top