Subject: [GSoC Mentors] [Announce] GSoC 2012 Mentors/Org Admins: "Pencils Down" and Final Evaluation Dates Approaching
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 10:33:06 -0700
From: Carol Smith <carols@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Google Summer of Code Mentors List <google-summer-of-code-mentors-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi there,

This is a friendly reminder that Monday, 13 August is our soft
"pencils down" date. We suggest that students have completed their projects
by this date and spend a week writing documentation and wrapping up their
projects. We require that students stop all coding on 20 August.

Monday, 20 August at 19:00 UTC is also when final evaluations open. Please
consider this your reminder to submit your final evaluation by 24 August at
19:00 UTC so that you don't delay your students' final payments or possibly
jeopardize your organization's attendance at the mentor summit.

I have updated the code submission guidelines [0] and posted it on
Melange for your reference. Code submission begins once students have
received a passing grade on their final evaluations (after 24 August). The
deadline is 14 September. One question students ask a lot is what portion
of their code to submit if they made changes to an existing code base or
their code interacts a lot with a system they didn't write. The answer is:
use your best discretion. Have them submit the code that makes the most
sense from a user's perspective. If students need help with code submission
they should contact the Melange team at melange-soc-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

I have posted the questions for the final evaluations below as well for
your reference.

[0] - *
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/codeguidelines
*

Cheers,
Carol

----------------
*

   1. How would you rate the student’s performance on his/her project since
   the midterm evaluations?
      1. It has improved since the midterm
      2. It has stayed the same since the midterm
      3. It has gotten worse since the midterm
   2. Considering your student’s original project proposal, how closely
   does the project produced reflect the project proposed?
      1. It’s almost exactly the same - there have been very few changes to
      the project
      2. It’s similar - there have been some changes over the course of the
      summer
      3. It’s different - we changed the goals or scope of the project
      4. It’s different - the student diverged from the project plan
   3. How much time have you spent on Google Summer of Code since the
   midterm evaluations (again, take into consideration both time mentoring the
   student and working on the program as a whole)?
      1. 10-15 hours per week
      2. 15-20 hours per week
      3. 20-25 hours per week
      4. 25-30 hours per week
      5. 30-35 hours per week
      6. 35-40 hours per week
      7. 40+ hours per week
   4. How does this amount of time spent on the program compare to before
   the midterms?
      1. It’s less than before the midterms
      2. It’s about the same
      3. It’s more than before the midterms
   5. How would you rate your student’s performance overall?
      1. Excellent - amongst the best performers I’ve ever worked with
      2. Strong, solid performance
      3. Okay
      4. Poor
   6. How would you rate your experience with the program overall?
      1. Excellent - one of the best programs I’ve ever participated in
      2. Very good
      3. Okay
      4. Poor
   7. Did you have a co-mentor in the program this year? If so, would you
   consider this a help or a hindrance? Why?
   8. What one thing would you tell mentors for your organization to do in
   the future to help the students’ experience with the program?
   9. What was the most rewarding and/or difficult part of the program for
   you this year?
   10. Anything else you’d like to tell us?

*