|[soc-dev] Fwd: [GSoC Mentors] [Announce] GSoC 2012: Mentor Summit Travel and Details|
Who wants to attend the GSoC 2012 mentor summit on behalf of the
-------- Original Message --------
The Google Summer of Code Mentor Summit is approaching!
When: October 20-21, 2012
Where: Google Headquarters, Mountain View, California
Some brief background: The Google Summer of Code Mentor Summit is a two-day "unconference"  that brings together two mentors (or org admins) from each of the mentoring organizations that has participated in GSoC that year. Google pays for a two-night hotel stay, transportation costs, conference facilities, and food for the weekend, and the attendees make the agenda. We've consistently heard from mentors over the years that the summit was one of the best conferences of the year for them. The opportunity to meet face-to-face with other FOSS community members is a valuable experience, as is the time spent discussing ideas in a casual forum where everyone's voice can be heard. I'd encourage your organization to send delegates to the summit even if you don't quite understand of the utility of it now - I feel confident you won't be disappointed with the results.
Attendees stay at the Wild Palms hotel  while they're in town and we serve a traditional dinner of thai food on Friday night and have a pizza and pool party on Saturday night.
Here's how to proceed with booking and attending:
1) Your organization will need to decide on two delegates  to send to the event. Any people who want to attend above and beyond the two from your org will need to list themselves on the Waiting List  and wait for word from me about extra space as we get closer to the event. NB: The wiki requires a login when visiting for the first time. The username is "mentor" and the password is "yourock." I highly recommend creating your own account with a unique password once you have logged in for the first time.
2) Once your organization has decided on the two delegates it would like to send to this year's event, those individuals can feel free to book their hotel rooms at the Wild Palms  now. Please note that if the Wild Palms fills up, this link will redirect you to a registration page for the overflow hotels we are also contracted with. Don't be concerned if your registration is with the Avante or the Domain instead. We'll have shuttles running between the hotels and to campus for the whole weekend. NB: The hotel registration deadline is 10 September in order to gauge attendance earlier in the process this year. If you really want to stay at the Wild Palms, I'd recommend you book early. :-)
3) Please fill out the Mentor Summit Preparation form  as soon as you have confirmed your hotel room.
4) We include the reimbursement for travel to the mentor summit and the mentor stipends in one PO to your organization. Please see the payment info page  for more detail on this. These POs will be issued to your org soon after it has made the payment request.
5) Flights should be purchased once you have a confirmed PO. All orgs pay for plane tickets ahead of time and then request reimbursement via invoice against the PO once you have receipts for the flights.
6) Please check out the wiki  and fill in your name if you're attending. Look around the rest of the site - it has lots of useful information for you about the event and what to expect.
7) In the unlikely event that your organization does not plan to attend the mentor summit at all, please fill out this form  to let me know. Please only fill this out if you are *not* sending *any* delegates to the summit.
8) New! We are doing session scheduling for this year's summit via Google Moderator. Please fill in your ideas for sessions on the webpage  by September 28 and vote for your favorite ideas! **We will not be handling scheduling on Saturday at the mentor summit as we have in the past. Please use this page if you want to schedule a session for this year's event.** You can read more about how we're running session scheduling this year on the wiki .
9) Please remember that any organization that misses two or more evaluation deadlines may not attend the summit. If you book travel and then get uninvited from the summit after the final evaluations you will not be reimbursed for travel costs and your hotel stays will be cancelled. So don't miss those evaluations or you jeopardize missing the event!--
 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconference
 - http://www.jdvhotels.com/hotels/siliconvalley/wild_palms
 - A "delegate" is defined as either a mentor or org admin who participated in this year's GSoC program. We're sorry, but we can't accomodate other people from your organization who did not mentor or administer this year. Also, we will not accept any mentors who missed an evaluation deadline in this year's program. Please contact me if you have questions about if a person from your organization is on this list.
 - https://gsoc-wiki.osuosl.org/index.php/Attendee_List_2012#Waiting_List
 - http://booking.ihotelier.com/istay/istay.jsp?groupID=763249&hotelID=5623
 - http://goo.gl/OCMHD
 - http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/paymentguidelines
 - https://gsoc-wiki.osuosl.org/index.php/2012
 - http://goo.gl/bKUve
 - http://goo.gl/5AAcm
 - https://gsoc-wiki.osuosl.org/index.php/Proposed_Session_Topics_2012
As always, please contact me directly with any questions or concerns you may have about any of these instructions.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Summer of Code Mentors List" group.
To post to this group, send email to google-summer-of-code-mentors-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to google-summer-of-code-mentors-list+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-mentors-list?hl=en.