Re: [smila-dev] code conventions

Am Freitag, den 25.02.2011, 14:10 +0100 schrieb Thomas Menzel:
> hi fellow commiters,
>
> as u all know we have some code conventions and for this some tooling
> support in the form of checkstyle and the formatter.
>
> I was about to check these in under the releng folder to have it more
> at the fingertips when setting up the devenv but then thought if we
> should discuss this first, if we want to change anything here, in
> light of the coming major changes in M 0.8.

It's in SMILA.builder/checkstyle already, in case you didn't notice, so
it should probably be removed there then so that we don't have
contradicting copies.

> particular it comes to my mind that the current checkstyle
> configuration is outdated and would need to be migrated to version 5
> to be able to use it without hassle from within a current eclipse IDE.

Yup, that would be nice.

> question here: is anyone really using it? (to be honest I dont) . But
> then again I'm used to the style anyhow and probably don’t violate it
> too much. For newbies is see that such a thing would be a good help
> and a form of documentation on the style we have been using (and
> expect).

Yes we are still using it, but there are some complaints in our company
about it being too pedantic and checking the wrong things. However: the
urge was not yet big enough to find the time to really discuss them and
make more constructive proposals (-; If someone wants to propose a
better configuration: fine with me.

> regarding both: before checking in I would also rename the files and
> turn the "brox" into "smila"

Yes ... eventually ... (;

Cheers,
Juergen.