AW: [smila-dev] RE: FYI :: new feature :: Message Resequencer

Hi Tom,

> > But I am not solely to blame on that since:
> > 	- Your proposal is everything else but trivial. Actually you
> > proposed 2 things...
> > 	- The description is 8k plain text long.
> > 	- You introduced almost a dozen of new terms and
> > abbreviations...
>
> The principle is **very trivial**.
That may be true, but the way you elaborated it is certainly not.

> I just take time and space to explain it and see if all requirements are met.
> Sorry, if that is too much for you, but in order to be precise and complete these
> things just need to happen.
I'm not the only one having trouble to understand your elaboration...
It would be helpful if you could present your ideas more concise - like for example Jürgen did.
If the principle that you suggest is that trivial, than you could explain it in 3 sentences. Right?

> > 1. Your approach is not general. You concentrate on something you call
> "processing targets"
> Sorry, but my approach is _very_ general IMO, or what do you think limits it to a
> specific use case?
>
> > and completely neglect the price of preprocessing.
> Where do I do this?
By concentrating on something you call processing target.
Quote:
" the processing piplines are as normal, but: 1. w/o the step of calling the processing target and #  they add the result to a new queue, Q2"
You assume here that the first call of the pipeline is cheap. This is never the case!

> > 2. Both "full" and "smart" resequencer share the same problem: In a
> > cluster environment you will have at least one resequencer instance per
> > node. How will those instances share their ID-SN-Maps in a performant
> > way?
>
> I just updated that section to explain that better.
Sorry, but I have a problem with the very first sentence:
Quote:
" the following applies to all PRs in need of resequencing:
   1. the first thing it needs to do, is to be REGISTERED with the SRS."
The processing request needs to register itself to/with SRS??
How should this happen?
Please explain this.

> > Done. Please take a look at " Idea 1 - Connectivity
> > Consolidation/Resequencer Buffer" section of
> > http://wiki.eclipse.org/SMILA/Specifications/ProcessingMessageResequenc
>
> I did. Unfortunately you only left a few comments on the things I pointed out.
> What I actually had asked you, is to explain for each listed requirement, i.e.
> these:
>
> # 2.1 Basic Operations
> # 2.2 compound management, splitting of records
>     * 2.2.1 Composition
>     * 2.2.2 Aggregation
>     * 2.2.3 Parent/Descendants Ordering Requirement
> # 2.3 support >1 processing targets
> # 2.4 clustering, complex processing chain
> # 2.5 single point of failure
> # 2.6 scalability and performance
>
> ...how the buffer will solve it. For this you will have to rework the section a
> bit.
Before a write a novel which explains the details of the buffer concept I wanted to present some major ideas.
Do you agree with them?
If yes, that I can go deeper and present the technical details that came across my mind.

> Other subject:
> I'm thinking of giving each solution an own page, e.g. one for buffer, FSR and
> SRS.
> What do you think of that?
I have no problem with that.
Please also do not forget do add one for Jürgen's idea.

Regards
Igor

Back to the top