RE: [smila-dev] JPA und SQL Server

Hi Daniel,

i understand we have to save a blob but I'm not sure that we need to define in the Annotation which DB type is going to be used for it. from the API Doc its not 100% clear but from this

columnDefinition

public abstract String columnDefinition

(Optional) The SQL fragment that is used when generating the DDL for the column.

Defaults to the generated SQL to create a column of the inferred type.

Default:

""

I deduct that the string that u pass with columnDefinition is the one actually used to generate the Table. if you leave it free then the DB Type Mapper (e.g. org.eclipse.persistence.platform.database.DerbyPlatform, SqlServerPlaform) will chose a Type  matching the variable's Type. For MSSQL this works fine and it chooses Image as the column type and apparently it also works for Derby when nothing is spec'ed.

So, was there a deeper reason for u spec BLOB (such as the default SQL type chosen with derby for byte[] doesn’t meet the needs)  or where u just not aware of this?

Kind regards

Thomas Menzel @ brox IT-Solutions GmbH