Re: AW: AW: [smila-dev] section on "when to use" to wiki forprocessingservices

Hi Daniel,

thanks.

Generally it does. Why not working at initialization of a workflow with a service tracker that shuts in worst case the listener down... that way we did not get that many records in the dead letter queue? What do you think?

Georg

Daniel.Stucky@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Georg,

this should be managed transparently by OSGi DeclarativeServices. If a service X is updated it is first deactivated.
Now it depends how the references to service X are configured. If the reference is required, then a service using X is also deactivated (and so on). If the reference is optional then the service using X is not deactivated. Any method calls that internally make optional use of X will work differently as before (e.g. they may throw exceptions). This is the case for the WorkflowEngine. References to ProcessingServices are not required, so the Workflow engine is not deactivated. If a pipeline is executed where the deactivated ProcessingService is used it will result in an exception.

Of course we could think about a different handling in the workflow engine, at first checking if all needed Services are available and only then execute the pipeline.

Does that answer your question ?

Bye,
Daniel