[smila-dev] aperture bundles for smila integration

Hi aperture team,

I just took a look at the osgi distribution of release 1.2.0. There are
several issues that need to be addressed to allow integration of
aperture in smila.

- non EPL compatible licenses
There are some 3rd party components which licenses are not compatible
with EPL (e.g. jaudiotagger-1.0.8.jar is LGPL). These libs simply cannot
be contributed to smila. These libs and the dependencies on them have to
be made optional in aperture, perhaps by fine grained bundles (see
below).

- eclipse legal process
we have to create a Contribution Questionnaire (CQ) for each bundle and
for each lib used in the bundles. That means a CQ for every (nested) jar
is needed. Of course we can skip CQs for non EPL compatible libs, as
they will be rejected anyway. At first we should focus on functionality
we want to make use of in smila (this would be MimeTypeIdentifier an
Extractors only). For some jars used in aperture this was already done
and we can simply reuse those CQs (e.g. commons-*.jar).
Eclipse also usually allows only usage of "released" 3rd party software,
not any nightly builds or beta releases.

- fine grained bundles
In order to be able to integrate selected functionality (either because
we don't need it or we can't use it because of license issues) a finer
grained bundleing is needed. In addition, some of the 3rd party jars
used in aperture are already used in smila. We provide each 3rd party
jar as a separate bundle (and contribute them to Orbit). This allows for
easier update of 3rd party dependencies. Perhaps this is a practical
approach for aperture, too.

Please let us discuss the listed issues and how both projects can help
each other. Of course we are willing to contribute to aperture to
achieve smila integration!

For further communication please send copies to smila-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx.

Bye,
Daniel