[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[smila-dev] AW: Current Logging Settings
- From: Allan Kaufmann <akaufmann@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 12:58:05 +0200
- Accept-language: en-US, de-DE
- Acceptlanguage: en-US, de-DE
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Thread-index: AckZnO5Wu4tOO7rFTD6ALJVhcnHPjQAADztQACnrRDA=
- Thread-topic: Current Logging Settings
about the different log-levels and messages, I had seen an error like this:
- try to give the content tag of a filesystem indexorder the attribute HashAttribute="true"
- after starting the crawler with that indexorder I received a message that the crawler starts successfull, so it seems that there isn´t a problem
- but my crawler couldn´t crawl my files and the index hasn´t received entries
- I found following exception in my EILF.log:
2008-09-18 10:08:17,477 [Thread-14] INFO filesystem.FileSystemCrawler - Initializing FileSystemCrawler...
2008-09-18 10:08:17,520 [Thread-15] ERROR filesystem.FileSystemCrawler - Producer error
org.eclipse.eilf.datamodel.record.InvalidTypeException: Cannot use instance of class [B as literal value.
So while jconsole tells that the crawler starts successful, no other message tells that the crawler couldn´t insert the information to index.
I think it could be helpful if users received errors like this and if log error gives important information like this but not too much. Currently the EILF.log shows much, so that exceptions and error like this could be overlooked.
Von: smila-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:smila-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] Im Auftrag von Thomas Menzel
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 18. September 2008 17:04
Betreff: [smila-dev] RE: Current Logging Settings
my opinion on this:
1. loggin is there to help you, too much just doesn't.
2. have INFO level to show where the process/program is roughfly. if u have loops that are executed often or have many iterations than I think it is a good choice to just log every N iterations.
the overhead for this is minimal and the output a welcome indicator for anybody concerned about the progress and speed of a process/loop.
3. DEBUG: give verbose info that is needed for debugging purposes. that inlcudes most important the state of the process and involved objects
From: Sebastian Voigt
Sent: Donnerstag, 18. September 2008 16:44
Cc: Ralf Rausch; Allan Kaufmann; Thomas Menzel
Subject: Current Logging Settings
>From my point of view we have to much logging information in the EILF.log.
My Suggestion is to change the default logging settings to minimize logging information.
(Question is more, what do we have to see (ODE logging messages is an example).
We have to see errors messages thrown by the components, but we don't want to see
every message from ode etc...
smila-dev mailing list