Re: [sequoyah-dev] Manage SDKs - UI definition

Title: Re: [sequoyah-dev] Manage SDKs - UI definition
I don’t think we need to change too radically from the model that Pulsar already has. Basically, the SDKs are already shown in a view with a tree viewer – the proposal is only to change the tree viewer into the p2 discovery catalog viewer since it has more support for screenshots and text and looks nicer than the tree. :)  I think it’s ok for this view to not be related to other views or editors given the nature of what we are showing in this view.

The screenshot I sent in the other message shows what I have now, which is the original Pulsar SDK view hosting the p2 discovery catalog viewer. The catalog viewer has some restrictions:
(1) It only has categories and items – no 2-level nesting like in the current tree viewer
(2) It does not have support for uninstalling items that are already installed (it does have support for updating installed eclipse features, but this may not be applicable to SDKs)

Due to these restrictions, if we use the discovery catalog viewer, we can no longer support any real functionality for the already installed SDKs like before. Before, these were shown as installed and could be selected to uninstall and show details. Since this is not possible in the catalog viewer, my proposal is that we do this through a separate dialog. Like in your screenshot, we could have both functions (uninstall and details) in one dialog with two buttons named “Manage Installed SDKs” and there can be a single action in the pulsar view. Or uninstall and details can each be separate actions using the same kinds of dialog. I’m not sure if we need a tree for this dialog. I was thinking that typical users would only have at most a few SDKs installed and so a simple list to choose from would be enough.

As far as the question about the filter support, the catalog viewer does have a filter, so if Pulsar ends up with a lot of SDKs, users can use the filter to easily narrow their search. However, currently, I think there’s only a small number of SDKs from all the vendors.

--David