Re: [science-iwg] Java Advanced Imaging

Triquetrum is based on Ptolemy II and Ptolemy II has actors that use JAI.  These JAI actors could be used in Triquetrum without much effort if JAI is installed.  We intend to ship JAI with the Ptolemy II release later this year.

However, we don't have much use these days of the JAI actors. These days, we are using OpenCV, which has a Java interface and a JavaScript interface.  Installing OpenCV tends to be a bit tricky, but the JavaScript interface via node works OK under Mac, sometimes works under Linux and is tricky to install under Windows.

_Christopher

On 10/12/17 8:43 AM, Peter.Chang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Torkild,

We have a dependency on its IO library and also another SPI jar from TidalWave for loading certain TIFFs. See https://github.com/DawnScience/scisoft-core/tree/master/uk.ac.diamond.scisoft.analysis/jars

I see http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/262 brings some of that to the JDK. We haven't assess what impact this will have yet. But for imaging processing, there is BoofCV.

Regards,
  Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: science-iwg-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:science-iwg-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Torkild U. Resheim
Sent: 12 October 2017 16:25
To: Science Working Group <science-iwg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [science-iwg] Java Advanced Imaging

Hi all,

At the Architecture Council meeting today[1] we had a short discussion regarding Java Advanced Imaging which is no longer available. The LocationTech people are sorely missing this library and are looking for solutions. I think I remember some Science projects using it. Is this correct? If so, maybe we can try to figure out a solution working with LocationTech.

Best regards,
Torkild

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Architecture_Council/Meetings/October_12_2017

--