[rtp-dev] Virgo / Equinox / RT / RTP => confusion

Hi there,

I wanted to share with you some of my impressions from EclipseCon wrt various runtime technologies esp. the OSGi based servers.
I'm sending this note in hope to start a discussion and provide some directions / ideas.

To start bluntly, the main impression that revolves around all these OSGi based server technologies is "confusion". This became clear to me when hearing the question from an attendee of the Karaf talk (it was after we had the RT BOF). The question was "there is Karaf, Virgo, Aries, the RT Packages, etc..., how do I know which one to start from, what is the difference, pros / cons"?

The following question aim at pointing out things that may be confusing and explore ways we can help users.
- First does the creation of the RT packages really help?
- On one side, yes, because it eases the consumption of pieces and provides interesting starting points. But on the other, it just adds more artificial players to the field.
- How many more packages are we going to create? How many combination are we really going to provide?

- What is what, how do I compare packages?
- At this point we have two packages and from what I gathered this will be growing. However when I look at the description of each package it is not very clear what is what, and why I should start with this package rather than this other one. I think it could help to have a feature matrix showing what is included in which package, but probably even more importantly, a short explanation justifying why a user would pick a package. If we can't justify why some packages exist, maybe we don't need them :)

- Should package be named?
- Packages go with rather long, boring, and not enough descriptive names ("EclipseRTP Basic Package", "EclipseRTP Web Package") that are hard to remember and mention in a conversation. When I look at other technologies, they have short snappy names (e.g. Virgo, Karaf, Aries). I think we would do well to have such names for our packages. And maybe we can have variations around these names (e.g. maybe there is "Taurus" package with S / M / L / XL / XXL variants).

- Does promoting RTP as "a thing" help?
- I have the impression that we are promoting RTP as "a thing", when it is not. I don't go and try to get the RTP download, I go and get the "EclipseRTP Basic Package". To draw a parallel, Eclipse users don't know that there is a thing called EPP, they go and get "Eclipse Java developer", "Eclipse for PHP", etc. I don't want to diminish the value of the RTP project, but I just don't see the point of calling out its existence.

- A central download page
- The RTP download page only includes the EclipseRTP packages and I don't think this helps. After all, if the goal is to facilitate the consumption of runtimes technologies, then why would not we put Virgo on this page? In fact to go even further, I'm tempted to think that the RT download page should be a rebranded version of the RTP download page, much like you don't go to the EPP download page but to http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

This is it for today :)

PaScaL

Back to the top