Tom

[1]
http://projects.eclipse.org/projects/rt.equinox/reviews/4.4.0-release-review

Inactive hide details for Scott Lewis ---07/21/2014 12:26:21 PM---rt pmc, ECF 3.8.1 was our Luna release [1].   That release fuScott Lewis ---07/21/2014 12:26:21 PM---rt pmc, ECF 3.8.1 was our Luna release [1].   That release fully implemented the

From: Scott Lewis <slewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07/21/2014 12:26 PM
Subject: [rt-pmc] ECF 3.9.0
Sent by: rt-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

rt pmc,

ECF 3.8.1 was our Luna release [1].   That release fully implemented the
R5 version of OSGi Remote Services/Remote Service Admin and was
tested/passed the R5 CT.

The reason it supported R5 rather than R6 was that the RS/RSA specs and
CT are not yet finalized (unlike the R6 framework spec, which Equinox
implements and was finalized earlier, allowing Equinox to support R6 in
it's Luna release).

Since January, ECF has been doing the technical work to implement R6 on
a branch, and we have recently completed both the integration of that
work into ECF master, and we have completed the testing of our R6 RS/RSA
impl against the latest version of the R6 CT.

Additionally, ECF is a candidate to become the R6 RS/RSA reference
implementation, and so as part of that we need to have a release of our
implementation ready (for use as reference) prior to the formal R6
RS/RSA spec finalization.

Which gets me to my main point:  we would like to have a minor release
(3.9.0) sometime in August 2014, essentially with a single 'new and
noteworthy' item:  support R6 RS/RSA.    The needs to be a minor release
because there was some API added...as dictated by the R6 RS/RSA
specifications...and so this doesn't logically fit into a service
release.  However, if at all possible, I would like to skip the creation
of new release slides, materials, etc., precisely because there is only
one significant thing different from 3.8:  the R6 RS/RSA
implementation.  For reference, here are our approved 3.8.0 review
slides [2].

Question for rt-pmc:  Can we avoid producing a new set review slides for
3.9.0, since it's only about the RS/RSA R6 updates?  Of course, if
people are willing, I would be happy to have all the R6 impl work
reviewed and discussed here, but for that more technical depth is
probably needed than the review slides will include.

One other thing:   I don't know exactly when the R6 RS/RSA spec and ct
will be finalized internal to the EEG, and we would like to make sure
that occurs before we actually release ECF 3.9.  So although we are
completely ready to release on-time on a specific day as per tradition,
we would like to make sure that the spec and CT don't change after we do
so (which might mean that to pass the CT we would have to make
additional changes and immediately do another release).

Thanks,

Scott

[1]
https://www.eclipse.org/ecf/downloads.php