Re: [rt-pmc] Vert.x 2.1.0 release

Eclipse IP has expressed concern historically about the integrity of the maven central repository.  Until they are comfortable with that then I don't see the point of going much further.  Once they are comfortable that things in maven central do not change once placed there (which is the policy of maven central, lord knows I have enough boo boo's out there), then there needs to be comfort that the binary bits in maven central are equivalent to those approved through the CQ process.  I am comfortable with the ones we use because we opened the CQ's using the binary and source from maven central itself.  How someone else can have the same level of comfort is hard to say....it is not like you can do a simple md5 check against the binary files since eclipse insisted on signing them and tweaking their metadata files so they follow 'The Eclipse Way'.  I have gone through and done source diffs in the past to feel comfortable about it.

We have discussed it many times in the past on the RT calls...and the ultimate decision has been to just do things as we can following eclipse policy in the creation of P2 repositories as they are the true 'Eclipse Release' output....and let the LTS efforts flesh out the actual nuts and bolts of putting requirements in place to bring sanity to the Orbit project since they have the resources and mandate to affect change.  There are big nasty hairy dragons there....if it was a map there would be monsters drawn all over it.

cheers,
jesse

--
jesse mcconnell