Re: [rt-pmc] Vert.x 2.1.0 release

AIUI Vert.x is an Eclipse project and we consume artifacts from Maven Central as part of our build. Is this wrong? All the dependencies have been IP checked so I don't see why this is an issue.

You can not take a maven dependency from the build and push it into a p2 repository...but you can build against them all you like because that isn't a release in the traditional Eclipse sense.  An 'Eclipse Release' is a p2 repository, and if that repository is going to be consumed by anything going into the release train (like equinox uses Jetty) the contents of that repository need to be signed.  If you are providing a repository with dependencies inside (like say a servlet api version) then you need to consume a servlet api from Eclipse Orbit that has gone through the whole CQ process.  There is a tacit expectation that if you are producing a P2 repository you will be nice and make sure that everything is in Orbit that is a dependency but AFAIK that is not a strict requirement.

Well.. this is the thing. The way we do releases is we try to do a release every 4-6 weeks. There are no "special themes" for releases. It just contains the next lot of stuff that is on the TODO list, which can be seen in Bugzilla. Some weeks we might two releases in a week.

The only way we can continue that model right now in the Eclipse process is to call each of those releases a "milestone" so we can fly under the radar, but to me a milestone release is really no different to a "proper" release.

assuming X.Y.Z.identifier versioning which is recommended by eclipse for osgi purposes

You can release all the Z.identifiers you like as releases so long as the dependencies (and thus the IP log have not changed)...if you change dependency versions you need to bump the IP log and we typically make that a new minor release.

X.Y versions require a release review

cheers,
jesse

Back to the top