Re: [rt-pmc] Vert.x 2.1.0 release

According to the EDP, a release requires a review. Reviews run for a week, which means that there isn't enough time to do a release before EclipseCon. I will, however, do what I can to help you get what you need assembled for a release during EclipseCon. More on this below...

--
Maven Central is a wonderful service and we support Eclipse projects putting their artefacts there.

From an intellectual property point of view, Eclipse projects should be consuming artefacts from the Eclipse downloads server as part of their build. This doesn't impact Vert.x directly, but does have an impact on any potential Eclipse project consumers. The logic behind this is that we don't have control over those bits. They could change. Further, there is some risk that alternative versions of compatible (but not IP cleared) artefacts could be consumed.

The bottom line is that the IP Policy does not support consuming artefacts from Maven Central. If there is will, we can collectively make a case to change this. The RT PMC is an obvious group to lead this sort of charge.

I think that my original response reasonably described the why. If there are specific points that need to be addressed, I'm open to the conversation.

There is no current requirement to sign anything.
--

Characterizing the process as taking weeks is not accurate. There is, however, some investment of time required.

We need to do a release review. Before we can start the review, you need to create some review documentation and get approval for it from your PMC. In addition, you need to assemble your IP Log and submit it to the IP Team for review.

The process is outlined here:

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Development_Resources/HOWTO/Release_Cycle

You have created a rudimentary plan for the 2.1 release already [1]. While I might prefer that you use themes in the plan, your use of the delivery field is reasonable. The next step is to provide review information. Minimally, I need to see an "elevator pitch" in the description for the release: how would you describe this release in 15 seconds? All of the other fields are optional, it's the PMC's call to determine how much is enough (I'm inclined to encourage the RT PMC to look specifically for a description of any security issues). I do like to see a check mark next to the "API Certification" field, and a link to a new and noteworthy document (if such a document exists).

You can use the IP Log generator [2] to create and submit the IP Log. Please give it a once-over to make sure that nothing obvious is missing (e.g. a contribution). If there's an error, please let me know. FWIW, I recently upgraded our services to support projects running on GitHub. I believe that I've tested it pretty thoroughly (using Vert.x in particular). All you need to do then, is log in and click "Submit".

If I can have PMC-approved release documentation in place by mid-day tomorrow, I'll schedule a special review period to get this done by Wednesday next week.

Short version:

* Copy your release bits to the download server
* Update the project metadata [3] to include a link to the download.
* Change the release date to March 19/2014.
* Provide an "elevator pitch" description in the release document [1]; and check the "API Certification" check box on the review page.
* If you already have such a thing, provide a link to the new and noteworthy document on the review page.
* Provide any other optional information that you think may be valuable for the PMC or community.
* Send a link to the release document to the PMC and ask for approval.
* Send a note to emo@xxxxxxxxxxx requesting the release review be scheduled along with a link to the release document
* Open the IP Log generator[2]. Log-in if you need to. Click "Submit"

We'll take it from there.

I think that I just described 20 minutes.

HTH,

Wayne

[1] https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/rt.vertx/releases/2.1.0/plan
[2] http://www.eclipse.org/projects/ip_log.php?id=rt.vertx