Re: [rt-pmc] ECF 3.8.0 release

Hi Thomas,

On 2/19/2014 1:53 PM, Thomas Watson wrote:

We probably should get a sense of how final the APIs are looking for RSA 1.1 before making them available as an official API for ECF.  We always run the risk of putting something out there as a release before it has become officially final by OSGi.  I have been bitten by this in Equinox when the OSGi core spec slips past a feasible date to be included in the release train.  One example is OSGi composite bundles.  We had several equinox releases where the composite API (and an implementation) was included in Equinox releases but it never become a real OSGi specification.  For luna I have finally been able to remove this.  But it required a 2 year notice to the community first because we considered it real Eclipse API.  That was a completely separate 1.0 package so it was easier deal with it being removed.  But if the package is updated to 1.x then it is much more catastrophic if you put something out there as 1.1 that is not really the final 1.1.  Then when 1.1 is really final you are left with having to update your version of the API without incrementing your package version.

Yeah, I completely agree.  Remember RFC-119? (precursor to remote services).

But...happily...I don't believe this is likely to be a huge problem for the RFC 203[1]/RSA 1.1.   Main reason is that the new API is *very* limited.   Basically the new API boils down to adding support for remote service update (i.e. the local equivalent to service modified)...and creating a new/additional event listener and event type to support the update notification.   AND adding new capabilities to represent the RSA subsystems (topology manger, discovery, distribution).   In prose above this sounds like a lot, but it's not really...and pretty uncontroversial...is my sense from archives and discussions.

Doing the work in a branch is good and then not merging into master until you are very comfortable that the API will be final final by the time you release.  Even doing an RI in a branch is acceptable.

Yeah, that's what we are doing...with the hope/expectation would be before 'too late' for addition to Luna.

As far as I know OSGi does not require RIs to be included in any official release from an open source project.  I don't think it even has to be provided from a download site.  All that is required is that the source code is freely available in a repository and it can be built in order to get the RI binary.

Yeah, that's understood.   A pain for the community if it can't get into Luna though.

But I do realize it is in your best interest to have the ECF luna release support RSA 1.1.  But if there is any question on the finalization of the RSA 1.1 API in time for the Luna release then you should consider not releasing it until Luna SR1.

Yeah...if things go wrong WRT the final approval of RFC 203 for R6 then this is what we will do.

(and sorry for the long winded answer, did not intend to take that long! ;-)

No problem, it's appreciated.  My only request (to you/Tom, rt pmc, and EF folks that touch OSGi)  use any means and/or influence available to keep the OSGi RFC approval (or disapproval for R6) on schedule.

Scott

Back to the top