So in summary, it's not that we "don't want" to be on the release train, but more about just not wanting the extra work of figuring out all of the things that will be expected of us to be on there. If someone said, "Hey, give us your bundles and we will do the work of putting them in the right place and doing the work that is necessary for them to be there" then we would gratefully hand over our wares. However, we don't reasonably expect that from anyone, and given the lack of any significant advantage that we can discern to being on that train we have not been frothing to go down that path ourselves.

Having said all this, it was already listed as an agenda item to discuss on our upcoming Gemini project leads call. Ya never know...

-Mike

On 22/08/2012 10:36 AM, Mike Milinkovich wrote:

To be clear - I don't think this perspective is just a Jesse/Jetty thing. Gemini is not on the release train either. Virgo wasn't exactly enthusiastic about the idea as far as I could tell.

From: Thomas Watson [mailto:tjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: August-22-12 10:28 AM
To: mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx; Runtime Project PMC mailing list
Subject: Re: [rt-pmc] Juno Retrospective

I agree with your points Mike and I would like to hear from Jesse what improvements can be made to the process and what value could be added that would have kept jetty on the release train.

Tom

Inactive
              hide details for "Mike Milinkovich"
              ---08/22/2012 09:16:06 AM---Just a suggestion - feel free
              to ignore."Mike Milinkovich" ---08/22/2012 09:16:06 AM---Just a suggestion - feel free to ignore.

"Mike Milinkovich" <mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx>

08/22/2012 09:16 AM

Re: [rt-pmc] Juno Retrospective

Just a suggestion - feel free to ignore.

It seems to me that we have a general issue with EclipseRT and the release train. More specifically, I think there is a sense that the release train is of less value to the RT projects. Or that the process is more burdensome for them. Jetty's recent announcement that they're not planning to participate in Kepler is a concrete example of this.

Perhaps a general conversation about what makes the release train more difficult or of less value to the RT projects would be helpful? What could be done to change that for the RT community?

Of course, it's possible that I am completely out to lunch on this perception. It wouldn't be the first time :)