Re: [rt-pmc] RT PMC Meeting Participation

> My observation is that after a while many projects/project leads realize
> that participation (on the rt-pmc at least) doesn't have many tangible
> positive effects for their project...i.e. the change they are looking for
> doesn't actually happen...whether they participate or not...and thus because
> time is a precious resource for everyone, participation on the rt-pmc goes
> down...particularly from the (generally smaller/independent) projects that
> get little/nothing from the rt-pmc, planning council, architecture council,
> EF marketing, etc...except more demands on their time.

bingo, projects are interested first and foremost in themselves, its
one of the fundamentals of open source (capitalism in general), it
makes things work

having the rt-pmc as merely a chat group for discussing and loosely
coordinating some things is a distraction for some, entertaining for
others (i enjoyed Jeff and my back and forth on repos and development
philosophy/process, not sure anyone else did :), and annoying and not
worth the time for others.  the membership thus far on these calls
demonstrates where many projects fall in that I suspect.

So...based on that we should decide to change things or not.  I vote
for a bit of change, perhaps the next pmc meeting or two should be
largely devoted to _what_ each project is up to and where we have
potentially interesting and beneficial interactions.  If we find a
neat area that two or more projects could collaborate on for the
mutual benefit of both projects then we should identify and foster it
from the standpoint of the pmc.  Jeff and I spoke a long time ago
about a sort of osgi/runtime ruby on rails type clone.  Sure there is
no actual funding behind something like that, and toast was mentioned
many times and I still don't really know what the heck it was/is.  But
in my mind that is what the rt-pmc should evolve into if it wants
increased participation from project.  A biweekly meeting where
projects lobby amongst themselves looking for ways to increase the
users and areas their project can have influence.

Say we took the ruby on rails idea and ran with it, we have
interactions with jetty and virgo, someone here does db stuff
(testimony to how poor communication is that I don't even know their
project name) and the ui could be that orion thing that seems to hot
on peoples minds within eclipse, and there is some modeling something
or other (suitably vague :).  If we could at least spec out what it
would look like projects could make the decision on if it would
benefit their project or not and act accordingly.

Anyway, the status quo on these meetings seems to me that they will
remain poorly attended and there will be little cohesion...so perhaps
its time to try and see what we can do as a group to benefit specifics
projects as opposed to being seen as simply an annoying meeting that
if you attend you lose plausible deniability for ignoring eclipse EDP
practices. :)

cheers,
jesse

Back to the top