Re: [rt-pmc] RT projects and standards

> 1) Difficulty of consuming standards from RT projects.  Here are what I perceive as some consumer problems with RT wrt standards...I'm sure other RT project leads have others.
>
> a) How do I find out what OSGi standards are implemented by RT projects?
> b) How do I get implementations from RT projects of standards x, y, z (or parts of standard)
> c) Why does project x *not* implement relevant standard y
> d) Is standard x implemented by multiple RT projects?  If so, why?
> e) What versions of which standards (e.g. OSGi 4.2, 4.3, etc) are implemented by which project?
> f) What is the status of the standards impls on RT projects that are engaged in implementing standards?

Exposing our many standards interactions/implementations would be a good thing.  Perhaps a wiki page table (e.g., http://wiki.eclipse.org/RT/Standards) could capture a, b, e and f.  c and d could be captured in a "discussion" section on that same page.  Note that we have way more than just OSGi standards at play here.

Can you take a stab at contributing/formatting this information wrt ECF?  The others can see what you mean and add/tweak/...  I suspect that the form will evolve as we get a grip on the scope of the information but the first step is to get at least some of the info.

> 2) TCK access for projects.  For EF projects to fully implement various standards...and verify for their consumers that those standards are complied with...it's necessary for projects to have access to the TCK associated with the standard (if one is available).   In too many cases, this is very difficult.

We discussed this a bit in the call.  The EMO already engages with the standards bodies to get the access required. In the case of OSGi specs it is an EMO/IP team topic right now as there seems to be some issue with the OSGi license.  Its not clear what more we as the projects can do except for make more noise.

> 3) RT projects working together on relevant standards.  I assert that 'encouragement' of rt projects to work collaboratively on standards hasn't,  doesn't, and perhaps will never work.

I agree that encouragement does not always work but it certainly can work.  RT has a number of great examples of projects working together (on standards or otherwise).  Virgo/Jetty, RAP/Riena, Virgo/RAP, EclipseLink/EMF/Teneo, Jetty/Equinox, ... Can you be more concrete on what your ideal policy would be in this area?

Jeff

Back to the top