Re: [rt-pmc] RT projects and standards

On 2010-11-30, at 12:26 PM, Scott Lewis wrote:

>> Sure.  Are you thinking that these would be particular to RT or more generally applicable?
>
> For RT PMC...particular to RT.

What, if anything, do you think would be unique to standards in the RT world vs. say in the modeling world?

>> Can you suggest some things that would be captured in these policies?
>
> 1) Cross-project collaboration (impls) and reuse (consumption)

Current state is that projects are encouraged but not required to do these things.  Participation in the simultaneous release requires them to use the same impls of third party libs (standard or not).  What should be different in the RT policy?

> 2) Cross-project standards impl and consumption agreements that make it easier for consumers (of all RT projects)...e.g. to know how/where to get standards impls (via RT projects)

Is this a policy topic or a "we should have a shared website that lists standards implementations" topic?  Can you clarify your intent here?

> 3) For RT projects that impl (at least OSGi) standards:  some means to get TCK's etc...to verify compliance and make that compliance known to consuming community.

Yes, this a longstanding topic though not really "policy" per se.  The Foundation folks have been talking legal with the OSGi folks and AFAIK have yet to come to a resolution.

> I don't attend that call...I believe Markus K does, however.  Feel free to bring up the above suggestions.

We could bring this up but you seem to have something in mind and we would just be speculating as to what that is.  I understand that the regular RT PMC call time is early for west coast.  Perhaps you could draft an initial policy proposal that captures your ideas and put it on this list or in a bug. Then we can try an email discussion or schedule an explicit call at a time that works better for you.  Make sense?

Jeff

Back to the top