Re: [rt-pmc] web site updates

Jeff is correct. I'll update the docs to reflect these restrictions.

My first thought was to fix this so that download.eclipse.org URLs would work. Then I changed my mind. Files on download are intended for distribution; they're mirrored, for example. Your project's "web" directory on CVS is really the most appropriate spot for these files.

Wayne

Jeff McAffer wrote:
I suspect it is because the url is on download.eclipse.org.  If i recall, all the URLs get normalized to http://eclipse.org/...  The expectation is that people are maintaining their project website on eclipse.org not download.eclipse.org.

Jeff

On 2010-10-06, at 9:38 AM, Jesse McConnell wrote:

http://download.eclipse.org/jetty/paragraph.html

Why would those contents not render on the front of the new page? They
are pointed to in the paragraph url.

looking nice!

cheers,
jesse

--
jesse mcconnell
jesse.mcconnell@xxxxxxxxx

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 22:55, Jeff McAffer <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I spent a bit of time today prototyping an update for the RT website (http://eclipse.org/rt).  The old one is clunky looking, not that informative and completely manual.

The prototype is at
       http://www.eclipse.org/rt/testweb/

Interesting characteristics:
- the list of projects is generated from the project database.
- the descriptions etc are harvested from the database as well
- the news column on the right side will (when a bug is fixed) be driven by a aggregation of blogs related to RT.

What you need to do:
- Most of the projects do not have complete information in the database.  In particular, the following need to be filled in for this to be useful
       paragraph url  (this will show up in the list on the RT page.  Short and sweet)
               *** note that due to a bug, this must be a http://www.eclipse.org/... url.
       downloads url
       description url
       getting started url
       documentation url
       any other info that looks useful
- fix your project name to not say xxx Project.
Please check your project metadata to ensure it is up to date.

Future directions
- improve the logo on the top left
- update the subpages
- figure out interesting stuff to put in the boxes at the top right and the menu bar
- replace the Eclipse logo at the top left with the EclipseRT logo

Let me know what you think.  This should be on the agenda for next weeks call.

Jeff