[rt-pmc] 08 Sep 2010 - RT PMC call follow-up

Hello,

Here is a quick update on the topics I said I’d get back to you on:

1)       Eclipse-developed test code deposited in the repository calling third party test code which does not reside on Eclipse servers.

Ø       In the cases described, third party code could be characterized as a “workswith” or perhaps “exempt pre-req”

Ø       The process outlined in the Guidelines for the Review of Third Party Dependencies would apply (as there is no distinction made based on the type of code involved)

Ø       It is our understanding that the dynamic nature of calls to these third party packages would make the task of creating CQs for each package an extraordinarily heavy burden

Ø       The IP team is in the process of reviewing the IP Policy to try to identify what we can do to alleviate this burden.  Janet will raise any suggested changes to the Policy to the IP Advisory Committee as necessary.

2)       A risk was identified in that there are a small number of bleeding-edge developers (low single percentage of users) who may download code from the build server or from the Eclipse repository before it is “officially” released by a project.  In either case, the downloader may consume code that has not been fully reviewed / approved by the IP team.   We appreciate this risk being highlighted but feel the additional controls necessary to eliminate this small risk would not justify the adverse impact such additional controls would have on the community.

3)       There was a question raised as to why CQs are required for “workswith” dependencies, but not their further dependencies.  In the case of dependencies, we are trying to highlight to our downstream consumers the Eclipse Project dependencies in such a way so that they may investigate further and make decisions accordingly.  In so doing, we must determine what level of information is reasonable to provide given our resource constraints.  It was felt that the first level of information regarding dependencies struck a reasonable balance given our current staffing levels.

I hope that helps.   If an additional conference call would be useful, please let me know.  I hope to update you further on the first topic in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Barb Cochrane

Eclipse Foundation, Inc.

Phone 613.224.9461 ext 232