Re: [rt-pmc] Re: Fwd: Future of ScalaModules

Heiko,

Wow what a bummer,

I am not sure what to say here or say it in a positive way but I am most surprised.

29-jan: scalamodules requests to be one of the few to host a git repo at eclipse.org (an ambitious plan as you call it)
10-feb: request for creation review
   - jochen raises concern that you are giving yourself very little time to build the three communities in eclipse that you should have
   - your response where that ScalaModules is "a mature project" and they rely on "releases" so you cannot stay in incubation and need to have a 2.0 release on the 26th June
24-feb: modified creation review slides that calls ScalaModules an "existing, released and well adopted project"

only 5 month later you are terminating the project because there is not "sufficient interest".

If we ignore the fact that some of these information pieces mentioned above dont work well together ("well adopted", "no interest"), there can always be a good reason to terminate a project. So you might just be fine. So it might be really a good time to terminate. That call is entirely up to you.

But I feel you twisted our arm a little already in the past with some ambitious requests and plans and you ignored the warnings of some people that you are going too fast. This outcome will certainly have an effect on people to come who wants to create a project right ? Or might have an effect on yourself, when you want to start a new eclipse project. I think you should take that into consideration with your decision.

just my 2 cents

christian campo

Am 19.07.2010 um 17:46 schrieb Wayne Beaton:

> Scheduled for July 28th.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Wayne
>
> Heiko Seeberger wrote:
>> Thanks Wayne, I added the URL.
>>
>> Heiko
>>
>> On 19 July 2010 16:46, Wayne Beaton <emo@xxxxxxxxxxx
>> <mailto:emo@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>
>>    Hi Heiko. I am sad to see the project terminate.
>>
>>    Can you please include a communication channel in the document
>>    (i.e. http://eclipse.org/forums/eclipse.scalamodules)?
>>
>>    Thanks,
>>
>>    Wayne
>>
>>    Heiko Seeberger wrote:
>>
>>        Hi,
>>
>>        I decided to terminate the ScalaModules project. Please find
>>        the termination review slides attached.
>>
>>        Thank you,
>>
>>        Heiko
>>

>>        On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 9:38 PM, Wayne Beaton
>>        <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:wayne@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>        <mailto:wayne@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:wayne@xxxxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:
>>
>>           Well... if we're going to do this right, we're supposed to do a
>>           Termination Review [1]. Let me know if you want some help
>>        putting
>>           the slides together.
>>
>>           Also, can you please inform your PMC of your decision?
>>
>>           Thanks,
>>
>>           Wayne
>>
>>           [1]
>>
>>         http://wiki.eclipse.org/Development_Resources/HOWTO/Review_Information_for_Project_Leads#Termination_.28Archive.29_Reviews
>>
>>           Heiko Seeberger wrote:
>>
>>               Hi Wayne,
>>
>>               Thanks for trying, but we started this process in December
>>               2009. That's more than half a year now, which I
>>        consider too
>>               long. My point of view is: If ScalaModules was a brilliant
>>               idea, folks would have jumped upon the train. There is no
>>               (business) use case for me to invest even more time into
>>               promoting a "rather good" idea.
>>
>>               Heiko
>>
>>               On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 5:42 PM, Wayne Beaton
>>               <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:wayne@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>        <mailto:wayne@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:wayne@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
>>               <mailto:wayne@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:wayne@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>        <mailto:wayne@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:wayne@xxxxxxxxxxx>>>> wrote:
>>
>>                  It seems pretty early in the process to give up. Can
>>        I talk you
>>                  into sticking with it a little longer? Perhaps we
>>        can drum
>>               up some
>>                  interest at Eclipse Summit...
>>
>>                  Wayne
>>
>>                  Heiko Seeberger wrote:
>>
>>                      Wayne, Chris,
>>
>>                      Although ScalaModules has been in incubation for
>>        quite
>>               a while
>>                      now, we did not manage to attract significant
>>        interest from
>>                      possible contributors or users. While lots of
>>        folks seem to
>>                      like the fancy idea of combining two "cool"
>>        technologies it
>>                      looks like there is no common use case for
> [...]

compeople AG
Untermainanlage 8
60329 Frankfurt/Main
fon: +49 (0) 69 / 27 22 18 0
fax: +49 (0) 69 / 27 22 18 22
web: http://www.compeople.de/

Vorstand: Jürgen Wiesmaier
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Christian Glanz

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Frankfurt/Main
Handelsregister Frankfurt HRB 56759
Ust-Ident.-Nr: DE207665352