Re: [rt-pmc] Gemini subprojects/components

Sigh, yes this is true. Just so we all understand what it is that you want to do I will try to reiterate.

1) Gemini has many (I'll call them) sub components.
2) The Gemini team/community has the goal to have each sub component release independently on completely different schedules.
3) To put it another way, Gemini will not have a single release that "roles" up all of its components and have them use the same release schedule.

If that is the case then it really does look like you will need to go back to separate products for each sub component. But I wonder about this strategy. Each individual release will need its own IP Log, release review, test pass, integration tests with other Gemini sub projects etc. Maybe that is not a big deal and Gemini sees the benefits outweigh the overhead. But I see benefits in having a single Gemini release also.

1) Perhaps less confusion to the community. In Equinox we implement many different bundles but we rally around a single Equinox release. The bundles within the Gemini release can have individual versions, but you role up all the versions into a consistent release schedule which has a number of benefits.
2) The OSGi specification roles up many specifications into a release. It seems like it would be relatively logical to set your Gemini schedule up to align with the OSGi specification schedule. That is what we try to do in Equinox.

I am not suggesting that the Equinox way is the only way or even the best way. If you really want individual releases that happen at different times then I am not going to object. But I want to make sure that is really what is best for your community as well.

Tom

Inactive hide details for Mike Keith ---07/09/2010 08:33:31 AM---Sorry, I wasn't using a proper term, I was just referring to tMike Keith ---07/09/2010 08:33:31 AM---Sorry, I wasn't using a proper term, I was just referring to the fact

Mike Keith <michael.keith@xxxxxxxxxx>

Jeff McAffer <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

07/09/2010 08:33 AM

Re: [rt-pmc] Gemini subprojects/components

Sorry, I wasn't using a proper term, I was just referring to the fact
that the "Target Milestone" in a bug appears to be product milestones,
not component milestones, and that according to the webmaster there is
no way to have different milestone sets for different components of the
same product.