[rt-pmc] OSGi Related CQs

From the Eclipse IP Team.  Please direct any questions related to this posting to emo-ip-team@xxxxxxxxxxx.

------------------------------------

Hello,

Can you please review the OSGi-related CQs you have raised and determine whether you have raised the appropriate CQ, or if you need more?  Perhaps we’re mistaken, but we get the sense that some projects may be attempting to create an Eclipse project-licensed implementation based on the ASL 2.0-licensed companion code.

Ø  If your work is not a derivative of ASL 2.0 companion code, but you are redistributing the companion code along with your package, then as long as you have a CQ for the companion code you’re all set.

Ø  If your work is a derivative of ASL 2.0 companion code, then please let us know.  Development of non-Eclipse code inside Eclipse is something we would have to consider; we handle requests like that on a case by case basis.

Ø  If your intent is to create an implementation from scratch and distribute under your Eclipse project license, you would need to raise a CQ for the related OSGi Specification and its license.  The fly in that ointment is that specification CQs will not be approved until we can sort out the license verbiage with OSGi.

There is additional context below should you need it.  Otherwise, to the extent you have any follow on questions on this topic, please send them to emo-ip-team@xxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks in advance.

ADDITIONAL CONTEXT:

We have a number of OSGi-related CQs that are either open and awaiting analysis, or already approved for use within Eclipse.  It has become apparent to us that there may be some confusion related to the type of CQs that should be raised, depending on the type of development activity you are undertaking or intend to undertake.

1.  If you have raised a CQ for Apache-licensed code (i.e. if that is what is attached to the CQ), then it stands to reason that your use is subject to the terms and conditions of the ASL 2.0.  That is, it does not give users the right to create an implementation and distribute that implementation under the terms of a different license.  It simply allows use of those files under the ASL 2.0.

2.  If you have raised a CQ for a specification (i.e. if that is what is attached to the CQ), then your use will be subject to the terms of the specification license under which that spec is released.  In the case of OSGi, specifications that are not in draft form are typically subject to OSGi Specification License version 1.0.   It appears as though this license might be the one wherein OSGi may intend to confer upon users the right to create and distribute an implementation under a license of the creator’s choosing, but the existing verbiage does not appear to expressly grant those rights.  Moreover, there are conditions placed upon the rights granted (e.g. passing compliance tests) that are inconsistent with open source licenses.  We have a call scheduled with OSGi board members and legal next week where these items will be further discussed.

Back to the top