Re: [rt-pmc] Re: Virgo

The need to run on Equinox is very explicitly made in the RT charter (http://www.eclipse.org/rt/charter.php).  In particular look at the Mission and Scope. More broadly there is a desire is to ensure that all major portions of Eclipse technology run on Equinox.  That is not so say that they only be able to run with Equinox.  They may also run on other OSGi frameworks, without OSGi, ... Indeed there are many parts of many Eclipse projects that run completely without OSGi. To my knowledge however, there are few projects, if any, that do not ship bundles and run on Equinox. As I said in another post, this is a consumer-driven topic. Consumers need to be able to combine different parts of the Eclipse ecosystem to form solutions. The common denominator here is Equinox/OSGi. Of course, communities change and our operating model may change as well. That should be an explicit discussion in the architecture council or some such.

>> In any event, that is a bit off topic and I don't think we are at or even
>> near that point. Everyone is saying they are willing to make it happen, so lets do it!
>
> For me the topic is why must a new project commit to working with Equinox,
> but not be expected to make a similar commitment for other related RT projects.
>
> The web container is a significant part of RT and Virgo/Gemini.  All I'm
> looking for is a commitment for the two projects to work together.
>
> That has been made on this list, so why can't it be made in the proposal?

Seems like the rest of this topic has been well and satisfactorally covered in other threads.

Jeff

Back to the top